Things I want but can't afford

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My wish list, or as much as I can remember:

One of those hand crank mixers I saw on here - so cool and much better than my little egg beaters.

A pole barn. Really need the space for animals and storage.

More canning jars. You can never have to many, IMO, and if canning jars become the new silver, I plan to be the richest girl in three counties! :lol:

At the very least a solar pre-heater for my water heater. Would prefer a small solar system to compliment the propane back up system DH has his eye on.

A Lopi wood stove insert. Really wanted an Amish made cook stove but there is not practical place to put it.

An outdoor stove/oven. We never have a/c, so when I can or cook anything in the summer/early fall I usually bathe in sweat (ewww!) and heat up an already hot house.

Pigs. A steer for the freezer. More fruit trees. A bigger garden...

I sure hope DH doesn't read this list!!

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Immediate SS list:

Tattler lids
Hand crank food processor (waiting until electric dies)
Hand crank grain mill (ditto)
Hand crank blender
5 gallon commercial salad spinner (for hand washing laundry)
Towel wringer (ditto)
Rapid washer (ditto)
Tub on legs- I already have a stand that fits two tubs, but I need three water basins to really do laundry by hand

Immediate energy improvements list:

Dual flush toilet
Toilet lid sink
Ultra low flow showerhead
New e-star dishwasher
Surge protector with individual on/off switches
Materials to build two solar space heaters
Materials to build a solar/electric food dehydrator
Solar oven
Outdoor wood fired oven (this is on hold because we might be moving in the spring)

Cosmetic and/or functional improvements list:

New front door
More red paint
New back storm door
Kitchen shelving
Installing door we have on basement entry
Several ceiling fans

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beanie said:
I want to be tall, blond and Swedish...oh wait, that's a different wish list. :p
:yuckyuck
Beanie, that was hilarious!

I'm like Denim Deb, I want the off grid house and no debt.

Working on it, working on it....

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Since this is the Kitchen related area, I'll only list those items. The list of other items would be too long.

1. At the top of my list for things that cost more than I can justify buying at the moment, is an All American Senior Flywheel Can Sealer. I may end up getting one eventually, though.

2. A commercial (like a Hobart) meat slicer. We have two smaller electric slicers and even a hand turn flywheel model, but a full size commercial model is on my wish list.

3. A commercial chamber type vacuum sealer . There are models that are less expensive, but I would like one with a tall enough chamber for quart jars.

And , as long as I'm dreaming....

4. The really big ticket item would definitely be this 100 Lb. Stainless Steel/Aluminum Gas Smokehouse .

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Becky, just put the word out. Things you need will find you.

G
Too true! And remember that your words carry a lot of weight.

Try to teach yourself to say things like: I want a canner but have chosen to leave my money in savings for right now. Or I want a canner and am asking friends if they know of one I can barter for. Or I want a canner and I know I will find a great one if I keep my eyes open on craigslist or watch at yard sales. Or I want a canner so I am going to put aside all of my egg money in a special box until I have enough.

It may sound hokey but you would not believe how thinking out of a mindset of abundance rather than lack makes a difference in your life. I'm not saying this is where you're coming from but just a gentle reminder not to focus too much on the things we don't have.

I was wanting a grain mill for over a year. I had a set price I was willing to pay. A couple of weeks ago I found one that I made an offer for on E-bay. I was able to dicker with the seller to within $10 over what my price was. I decided to take birthday money that I had plus the money I had allocated and agreed to the sale. Afterwards, he e-mailed me to make sure I was satisfied and also said, oh, by the way, did you get your $10 refund? I checked the account and he had overestimated on the shipping cost and refunded me the $10 overage.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want a do over. to be 16 and know what I know now and have the sense to focus and get it. So much money and time wasted.

I want the land and plantation house down the road from here. Gorgeous. Pecan trees and cotton fields still producing. If I win the lotto, I will own this.

Creek and pond, active windmill. Herb and vegie gardens... man, I really wished i knew what i wanted twenty years ago, i might of actually acquired it. now, well, who knows.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I knew I wanted SS when I was a teenager, but life kept throwing curve balls at me. I'm finally starting to get it at 58years *sigh*

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You and me both, Britesa. I'm 33, and finally after a lifetime of striving, things are slooowly falling into place.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Leta said:
You and me both, Britesa. I'm 33, and finally after a lifetime of striving, things are slooowly falling into place.
lol... me too... I'm 34 now, and within the next year things are falling into place for me... and a lot of our debts will be paid off :)

My kitchen wishlist for now:

- A meat grinder
- TONS more canning jars and lids
- A stand mixer
- Pantry organizing storage for flour, sugar, etc.
- A fully stocked pantry :)
- More mixing bowls and baking supplies.
- Actually my number one wish is to have a kitchen... right now we have a sink sitting on plywood with taps coming from pipes in the ceiling and no cabinets... I'd love a countertop, cabinets, real plumbing with hot AND cold water, somewhere other than the stovetop to prep stuff.

Latest posts