Things we recycle

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Let's start a thread on things we recycle for different uses. The toilet paper tube thread gave me this idea. I know we recycle more than that.
I use plastic bags that I get at the store for trash bags. I am sure alot of you do. You can also make rugs out of them.
I reuse plastic tubs/bowls that I get margarine, cottage cheese and such. I use the containers to store items like seeds for next years planting season. Buttons, pens, pencils whatever can be stored in them.
I have more but have to run for now.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Hmmmm...good thread. Might give others ideas they never even thought of. Let's see...I recycle:

plastic bags-trash bags, bags for giving stuff in, kitchen compost bags, put over shoes/feet in bad weather, but I would like to know how to make the rugs from them

egg cartons-put my chickens eggs in, sorting small items, start seeds in

plastic containers-leftovers from meals, storage for small items, start seeds in

newspaper-cleaning glass, wrapping paper, weed barrier (for a while), seperate fragile items, spread out to protect a surface

computer paper-scratch paper, shredded for worm bin and compost

seedling trays and pots get cleaned for next year's use

cardboard trays and boxes for garden produce

bacon grease for bird suet

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The rugs are made by either braiding them or crocheting them. If you braid them you will have to have yarn or string to bind them together.
They are good for the porch. They can wipe their shoes off on them.
Those annoying cd discs that you get in the mail and have no use for. Put a string on them and place them in your garden. This helps keep the birds out of your garden.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
coopy said:
Those annoying cd discs that you get in the mail and have no use for. Put a string on them and place them in your garden. This helps keep the birds out of your garden.
They do not seem to bother chickens, though! :lol:

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks guess I missed that one.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
No prob! :) I knew people would love to participate in your thread but had already spilled out their recycled repertoire on a previous thread...didn't want you to think we weren't interested in participating with you! :)