Thinking about trying a "locavore" diet....does anyone do this?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I guess I consider junkfood to be processed foods, foods containing genetically modified crops, foods that may have been sprayed w/ pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, etc..., having little nutritional value.
That does cover a LOT of the junk. Still more junk out there though. But if a person eating a standard American diet (SAD diet!) started with your definition, they will still be way better off.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I really want to roast seeds with tons of salt so I guess I have to make brownies with the squash....

sad life :D

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

I think the seeds are almost the best part of any squash!

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Perhaps the whole "eat local thing" could really help teach the children how to more properly eat. If it is presented as more of an Earth activist thing than a "you can't eat garbage" thing.

I think a GIANT factor in me eating better and better these days is that with the Celiac I am forced to read each and every label on prepackaged foods before I eat the food. There is something about reading the words: Contains High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sucrose, Mono ----, Di ----, Propylene Glycol, (and other additives) over and over that starts to make that food more creepy and far less desirable.
I agree with this because this is exactly how I got motivated to change the way I eat. It made it a fun challenge instead of a "diet". That being said, I am still far from having a completely local diet. I still have a lot of to do to be at that level.
And I totally agree about reading labels. Most things with labels are starting to freak me out.

Oh, and every time I turn around I'm finding out foods I thought were healthy aren't. Darn it. I don't think I can convince myself to quite eating honey, maple syrup or popcorn. That news just about ruined my night.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Most things with labels are starting to freak me out.
I started doing that about 4 years ago. Got totally freaked out and now only eat a very select few things with a label.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Homemaker said:
Oh, and every time I turn around I'm finding out foods I thought were healthy aren't. Darn it. I don't think I can convince myself to quite eating honey, maple syrup or popcorn. That news just about ruined my night.
I don't think all would necessarily agree. We definitely enjoy all 3 in our diet :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Homemaker said:
I don't think all would necessarily agree. We definitely enjoy all 3 in our diet :)
Everything in moderation. I love bacon popcorn with feta and sea salt! I only buy organic popcorn, though. The bacon grease and feta come from our farm.

tinkarooni

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok guys, what's wrong with popcorn? Real stuff not the micro kind?

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Popcorn, maple syrup and honey are only a big problem for about 40% of the population. Naturally that is the part of the population I fall in :p

If you have high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, gout, etc... I would consider those foods to be a once or twice a YEAR thing.

As for what is wrong with popcorn, the carb content and the fact that 90% of corn out there is now GMO.

Latest posts