Thinking about trying a "locavore" diet....does anyone do this?

tinkarooni

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Popcorn, maple syrup and honey are only a big problem for about 40% of the population. Naturally that is the part of the population I fall in :p

If you have high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, gout, etc... I would consider those foods to be a once or twice a YEAR thing.
That's interesting.....my doctor recommended popcorn as a snack for me with IBS. I think I'm just going to stick to a strictly twigs and berries diet these days, organic and local of course. :)

Tina

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Popcorn for IBS????

:th

"Patients with diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS-D) anecdotally report symptom improvement after initiating a very low-carbohydrate diet (VLCD). This study prospectively evaluated a VLCD in IBS-D.

Methods
Participants with moderate to severe IBS-D were provided a 2-week standard diet, then 4 weeks of a VLCD (20 g carbohydrates/d). A responder was defined as having adequate relief of gastrointestinal symptoms for 2 or more weeks during the VLCD. Changes in abdominal pain, stool habits, and quality of life also were measured.

Results
Of the 17 participants enrolled, 13 completed the study and all met the responder definition, with 10 (77%) reporting adequate relief for all 4 VLCD weeks. Stool frequency decreased (2.6 0.8/d to 1.4 0.6/d; P < .001). Stool consistency improved from diarrheal to normal form (Bristol Stool Score, 5.3 0.7 to 3.8 1.2; P < .001). Pain scores and quality-of-life measures significantly improved. Outcomes were independent of weight loss.
Conclusions

A VLCD provides adequate relief, and improves abdominal pain, stool habits, and quality of life in IBS-D."
http://www.cghjournal.org/article/S1542-3565(09)00198-0/abstract

"The weight of all the evidence suggests that bran, wholemeal bread and wholemeal cereals are more likely to cause IBS than they are to cure it. Also, because it is indigestible, bran ferments in the gut and can induce or exacerbate flatulence, distension and abdominal pain.[5] And it is the same story with diverticular disease. "
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/ibs.html

tinkarooni

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmmmm....I guess I had better do my own research. Popcorn doesn't bother me at all, but this does explain why I feel horrible if I eat pretzels as a snack.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
If you have high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, gout, etc... I would consider those foods to be a once or twice a YEAR thing.

As for what is wrong with popcorn, the carb content and the fact that 90% of corn out there is now GMO.
Ah, I see. Thank heavens I don't have any of those issues yet. I didn't think about the GMO thing. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I stock up.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hubby had reflux/indigestion etc.

he drinks George's 100% Aloe Vera Juice. We buy it in our local health food store. Lifesaver for him. Only thing I can think of aloe heals...and I assume his stomach lining is irritated so this juice just fixed him from horrible nights of suffering after eating certain foods that always irritated his stomach.

Every single day he commplained of acid/reflux/indigestion. Health store owner recommended George's and within 3-4 days hubby was a new person in the stomach area LOL

so maybe it will work for her? might help her like it did for hubby.

don't buy fakier crap aloe vera juice with fillers..get the 100% health food store product.

I have junk food in the house. I put snacks in bowls, no eating out of the bag around here lol--that way portion control is happening. But when kiddo has had enough 'what I consider" junk for the day, I say you have a choice of fruit etc. Heck many times she passes on the crappier stuff and eats the godo stuff and lucky for me her menu choices are wonderful. especially for a 6 year old.

I sent a bag of sugar snap peas to school, she eats the hound out of those raw--the way I love them...she said no kid would try one...what a pity lol--she ate them all :)

hope that info might help

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I sent a bag of sugar snap peas to school, she eats the hound out of those raw--the way I love them...she said no kid would try one...what a pity lol--she ate them all :)

hope that info might help
I often bring "treats" like cherry tomatoes, strawberries, cherries, dried cinnamon apples and other things to school with me. Yesterday I bought a (expensive :/) little mini watermelon at the grocery store for my lunch. When I bring my treats I always try to share with both the kids and the adults in my world. I am always surprised when there are only 1 or 2 kids who will try my snacks. (I have one little boy I can ALWAYS count on that will share with me. :) ) I am more surprised when the ADULTS turn up their noses. Oh well it is their choice. YUM!!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
They turn up their noses at fresh fruit?

What is wrong with these people??

My favorite snacks as a kid were the seaweed wrapped rice crackers :D I'd still nom them all the time if it weren't for the stupid low carb thing. *scowls*

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
abifae said:
What is wrong with these people??

My favorite snacks as a kid were the seaweed wrapped rice crackers :D I'd still nom them all the time if it weren't for the stupid low carb thing. *scowls*
The list is MUCH too long to go into! :lol:

My D1 used to beg for brussel sprouts and All Bran cereal. She used to munch the cereal dry as a snack food.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I love those bags of snap peas. I bought 2 last time I went to Sams.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If it is a budget issue as much as diet, sit down with the kids and talk it over. Let them know they can have only a certain number of things each time you go grocery shopping.

For us, we do homemade pizza - with organic sauce, homemade crust, nitrate free meats, cheese, all the good stuff, just types we can handle. We never eat pizza out, we can't handle it.

We also ALWAYS keep cocoa powder on hand. One of my daughters makes whole wheat, real butter, low sugar, chocolate crisp cookies. She knows she can make those once a week, single batch. Chocolate is an approved food in our home because it helps with some of the issues with Crohn's disease. Chocolate milk and hot chocolate are treats in our home also, for the same reason.

Find special alternatives that they like. Even better if they are things they can make for themselves when they feel the need - like popcorn if they can handle the corn, or oven fries (seasoned even), chicken alfredo on whole wheat noodles, homemade thin wheat crackers (tastes like wheat thins with less sugar), etc. All of those can be made with whole or homegrown ingredients. And thin wheat crackers with cottage cheese or cream cheese is a snack that even teens usually won't turn down (we cut a package of cream cheese into 8 blocks, 1 oz each, and they know they can have one block). Peanut butter is cheaper than cream cheese, also good on thin wheat crackers, if they can handle peanut butter. You can also make your own bean dip - homemade refried beans and salsa. Guacamole is also fun and simple - just mashed avocado and salsa.

I just don't buy anything that we can't safely eat (that means pretty much no prepackaged foods at all). If my kids pig out on cake and ice-cream at a youth event, then that is their choice. I taught them not to, but they will choose anyway. They are the ones who pay for that choice. Sometimes they use their own money to buy inappropriate things also, but again, they have to learn their own lesson with that. When they move out, chances are, they'll go wild for a while and eat all the wrong stuff. But after a while, they'll go back to the good stuff because at least they will KNOW it is the good stuff, and they'll know HOW to go back to it. I've seen this pattern with most of my kids, eventually they start calling me for recipes, and asking me how to adapt things.

By restricting what is in the house, I am doing two essential things:

I am teaching them that they CAN live this way, and that it helps them feel healthier (two of them have Crohn's, so this is a big deal). I'm NOT arbitrarily forcing them to eat a certain way. I am just setting the example of buying good stuff and only good stuff.

Second, I am buying what I can afford to buy. I can't afford to buy food that is not nutritionally sound. It costs enough to buy the good stuff, I have no money to buy things that are not nutrient dense. If it isn't on the list of safe foods, I simply do not have it in the house.

I still have trouble getting the kids to eat enough vegetables. Switching from white flour to whole wheat, from white rice to brown, etc, was easy. Getting them to do veggies has been harder, especially with my son who just can't eat most kinds of veggies (he can't digest them well).

I think you need to do what you feel is in the best interest of your family. You are the mom. It is your job to lead. Buy what you can afford to buy that you feel is good. Don't buy anything else. If your kids choose to buy other things, then that is their choice - you can't control that kind of choices, nor should you try. Just keep teaching them what "good" really means, and keep setting the example by living what you preach in the home, and by NOT providing things you think are bad choices (that will just undermine your lessons - after all, if it is all that bad, why are you buying it for them).