thinking of buying a dehydrator

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
can anyone please give me examples of what i can use it for?, Thanks :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I use mine for lots of things. Dried apples, figs, zuks, yellow squash, jerky just to name a few. When the garden is coming in and I have more than I want to freeze or can I will dehydrate as much possible to use in soups and stews.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Mine sat around and gathered dust. I have better luck drying things in the oven on the lowest setting with the door propped open. I also used to dry hot peppers and tomatoes out on the kids trampoline :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Its wonderful for jerky and I want to try it with onions and garlic this year, so I can make my own powders.

I wouldn't mind drying some peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, herbs and celery to make a soup starter blend.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, I do all my herbs: rosemary, mint, chives, parsley, oregano, basil, cayenne. Gonna try garlic and onion powders like Bee, as well. And maybe more peppers next year. Check out the dingbat thread for more info on drying peppers.....

Also check out the tea threads....My dehydrator will be working overtime making teas for my mom. What I grow will depend on what I find at the plant places locally. We have a LOT of plant places here.....at least a dozen that I can think of within my normal travels throughout my average week. Can't wait to get into the garden again, especially after all these discussions!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
. . . I want to try it with onions and garlic . . . .
Do it outside or your house will be overpowered with the smell. :sick

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Good tip, Dac! I will probably do it up in my cellar house, now that you've told me. :p

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Onion and garlic are probably OK with each other but not with anything else.

Latest posts