Thinking of moving- looking at southwest US-need input.

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We live in Northern Maine, bought our home 2 years ago. Have always lived in New England (we're in our 40's) and are considering a move to somewhere in the southwest- warm, desert type, or near this environment.
Would like to find an area that's a nice combination of out of the way- a house with a few acres, not crowded, grow food, raise animals, but close enough to populated areas to get jobs easier.
I'm a nurse, ( an LPN), hubby works in the construction and labor industry.
I'd love to hear the pros and cons of where you live, or have lived.
I know that energy costs are going to balance out somewhat- ie, what we pay to heat, we'll pay to cool, so that's not a real consideration for us, it's expected.
What else can you tell me ?

A

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
In general but you can find exceptions.

Great weather, shortage of water.

Higher elevations: more water, longer winters, milder summers.

Lots of sunshine: solar.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I live in El Paso County just outside of Colorado Springs, CO. We like the area. We DON'T have enough land though. There are place with nice sized properties nearby.

Good areas to look include 80911, Falcon, Black Forest. It kinds of depends how far you want to be from stores, etc. We have mountains, plains and dessert all within driving distance. Look up Paint Mines Park, Garden of the Gods, and the Pikes Peak Highway.

Good combo of rural and suburban with a city nearby.

Just avoid the city of fountain. They are tax and regulation happy.

Our winters are kind of mild, but Spring blizzards are common and rather annoying.

Hubby and I are thinking of going somewhere a little warmer when we retire. We are looking at areas of Texas. We are trying to find just the right spot. Too close to the panhandle and it is too dry. Too close to the coast and you have wicked humidity and hurricanes.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To me there is no place like New Mexico. Land of Enchantment and look towards nothern NM. There are water issues. but many geogeous valleys with fine agraculture. Make sure the water rights are documented and talk to lots of people before purchase. Make the water rights part and parcel of the agreement.

Nursing jobs are available most anywhere you go but in some very rural areas they want RNs due to government regs in assessments and documention especially for medicare.

I love the San Louis Valley in southern Colorado. I bet its not too expensive there but for jobs? probably difficult.

Building is really down in Arizona, California and Nevada. The recession hit like a ton of bricks there but it is a buyers market. Water issues also. Northern Nevada is beautiful. Most construction when it is happening is by illegal mexicans...so pay may be low. But if you have a real skill it will be better.

If you get to close to the border there are border issues... crime increases, lots of drug issues, and now kidnapping,

If you want a great climate for growing food look around Hagerman or Nampa, Idaho in what they call the Banana Belt area. Lots of water. Agriculture is good there. For some reason the climate is warmer than the rest of the state. You can't really see what is for sale on the net. You have to go to these places and talk to people. Low crime, pretty conservative, yet level headed. Not too many right wing nut cases. Those you will find more up in the mountains and they don't want to meet you anyway.... yet probably lots of college education too. Don't underestimate Idaho for college education, I have learned.

I can't recommend our area of Idaho, central in a mountain valley. it is not warmer, it's dam cold but we love the mountains. You can purchase 40 acres with great water for about 95,000 around here with spectacular views. Smaller acreage is more per acre, up to 6 to 8 thou.

We purchased property that had no for sale sign on it in Idaho but the real estate lady just happened to know someone.... as is the case so often in small communities.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at the California Central Coast region, from Paso Robles down to Santa Maria, maybe even into Buellton. Though housing prices were overinflated for a long time there, they have come down considerably. I lived in Paso Robles for about 15 years. Though it's a small town, there is a nice hospital in nearby Templeton, also a couple good hospitals in San Luis Obispo, which is 20-30 minutes from Paso Robles. Most of the hospitals in that area offer signing bonuses of several thousand dollars. The entire area is agricultural and in a big way, but jobs are not limited to ag alone.
Climate varies from a Mediterranean in Santa Barbara to a more desertlike climate in Paso Robles, Atascadero, Templeton. Summers in those three towns are usually hot and dry, with no rainfall from April-Oct. Winters are relatively mild, with only a very occasional frosty night. San Luis Obispo is very mild climate, with daytime temps from 40s in the winter to low 80s in the summer. No humidity to speak of in any of those areas.
One thing I would suggest is to get a subscription to the newspapers of areas you are considering. That can tell you a lot!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not Santa Barbara! My suburban home is two million on a good economic day, and I don't even have 1/4th of an acre! Great growing area, absolutely amazing, but you have to SO rich to live here. We have the Sansum clinic, it dominates the town, you don't find many private practices around here..I don't even know of one. Anywhere within commuting is going to be expensive, except Lompoc, but I don't recommend it. I really can't wait to move btw, hate how expensive this place is!

San Louis felt the same monetarily, except I lived at the edge of Edna Valley which is my favorite place :) Santa Margarita is a tiny town next to Atascadero, you can find acreage for cheap. The only drawback of the entire San Louis County, I didn't like their hospital system. You do have the state mental hospital which employs lots of people.

I suggest NM :D

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You guys are really sharing some GREAT information. New Mexico is sounding really, really nice to me. I'll have to start focusing in that area, but we're not excluding anything at all!
All the "little things" are great to hear, and know, and will be helpful in the long run, when we make the decision :)
Now to go search and find some newspapers!
Keep them coming!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I have to say: CO is the pits for health care and education if you can't provide fully for yourself. The mental health is so bad they are the only state that refused to answer the national survey a couple years ago that graded states on it LOL.

So dunno your situation, but if you have kids, make sure you can do a magnet school. lol.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I would second this strongly. Lived in Santa Maria for several years. Small town, beach 9 miles down the road, lots of agriculture. I work for Marian Medical Center there even now, over the internet. Several other hospitals in the area.

Paso Robles is hot in the summer, and San Luis Obispo can be as well. Santa Maria is in the 60's probably 350 days a year.

cjparker said:
You might want to take a look at the California Central Coast region, from Paso Robles down to Santa Maria, maybe even into Buellton. Though housing prices were overinflated for a long time there, they have come down considerably. I lived in Paso Robles for about 15 years. Though it's a small town, there is a nice hospital in nearby Templeton, also a couple good hospitals in San Luis Obispo, which is 20-30 minutes from Paso Robles. Most of the hospitals in that area offer signing bonuses of several thousand dollars. The entire area is agricultural and in a big way, but jobs are not limited to ag alone.
Climate varies from a Mediterranean in Santa Barbara to a more desertlike climate in Paso Robles, Atascadero, Templeton. Summers in those three towns are usually hot and dry, with no rainfall from April-Oct. Winters are relatively mild, with only a very occasional frosty night. San Luis Obispo is very mild climate, with daytime temps from 40s in the winter to low 80s in the summer. No humidity to speak of in any of those areas.
One thing I would suggest is to get a subscription to the newspapers of areas you are considering. That can tell you a lot!