This crazy girl is getting sheep!

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As the title implies, sheep are coming soon to a farm near me! :weee
Three six month old teeswater sheep. I have so much to do. What on earth am I doing? I’ve never had sheep. Ahhh.

So, questions to ensue.

Can sheep eat corn? Three sided shelter enough? What’s the best way to introduce to goats? Who wants pictures when I get them?!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do! I do! I do! I want pictures!

A 3 sided shelter should be fine. Make sure you can close them up at night to keep safe from predators.

Sheep can eat corn.

Introduction sheep to goats…….

SHEEP! Meet the goats!

GOATS! Meet the Sheep!!

:weee :weee :weee :weee :weee

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do! I do! I do! I want pictures!

A 3 sided shelter should be fine. Make sure you can close them up at night to keep safe from predators.

Sheep can eat corn.

Introduction sheep to goats…….

SHEEP! Meet the goats!

GOATS! Meet the Sheep!!

:weee :weee :weee :weee :weee
Ooh, didn’t think about closing them in at night. Good to know. Never had to do it with the goats. All my land is close to the house. I’ll see if I can make their shelter closable (if that’s a word.)

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you don't close in the goats now, and predators are not a problem, then closing in the sheep will not be necessary......BUT.... it helps to get any animal to where they will accept being closed in and caught up and things like that so you can work with them and do things that may need doing... plus lambing time for bonding with their own lambs etc.
Sheep and goats have some different mineral requirements... copper mainly... goats need more... so might have to use one mineral and then supplement goats with copper boluses .....
Sheep will graze more and goats browse more...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As the title implies, sheep are coming soon to a farm near me! :weee
Three six month old teeswater sheep. I have so much to do. What on earth am I doing? I’ve never had sheep. Ahhh.

So, questions to ensue.

Can sheep eat corn? Three sided shelter enough? What’s the best way to introduce to goats? Who wants pictures when I get them?!

Blessed ☝️ \o/

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you don't close in the goats now, and predators are not a problem, then closing in the sheep will not be necessary......BUT.... it helps to get any animal to where they will accept being closed in and caught up and things like that so you can work with them and do things that may need doing... plus lambing time for bonding with their own lambs etc.
Sheep and goats have some different mineral requirements... copper mainly... goats need more... so might have to use one mineral and then supplement goats with copper boluses .....
Sheep will graze more and goats browse more...
I do plan to switch from goat minerals to goat and sheep minerals and supplement copper on the side for the goats.

I’m splitting up the yard into two, with a good buffer in between, so we get a good quarantine period. From there I’ll remove one fence section so the buffer is gone and there’s only one fence panel. Then I’ll eventually remove that. Hopefully they’ll get along. I have small, middle age + goats. So they’re hopefully calmed down a little from their youth lol.

That should give me a good start?