This crazy girl is getting sheep!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Did my first hoof trim, managed to go too close and she bled a little bit. I felt so bad!
Right now it’s getting warm, so about time to shear. They were panting and stretched out yesterday, at only 65, worried me a bit! The wool is probably only the length of my fingers before it’s stretched out. I don’t know how usable that will be, because I’ve never worked with wool. But it has to come off. I’m going to check when shearers are coming around next. I’d love to learn how to do it myself, but I’m nervous. I’m also nervous of any diseases they could pick up at the farm with the shearers.
:barnieThese sheep have got me all nervous.
That's a good length. They're ready! If it gets too long, it costs a fortune to have the wool made into yarn!

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe get some hand shears and halter/tie them in a tight spot?
I hoped to eventually shear by myself, I’ve just never seen it done in person before and was hoping to watch someone. If I can’t get a shearer myself and YouTube it is!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Maybe get some hand shears and halter/tie them in a tight spot?
Agree! Sheep shearing isn't that scary (if you're not selling the wool). It's just a haircut! I shear mine while they're standing up. I use a high-end pet grooming clipper (clips a narrower strip but weighs less, blades need more fussing with). DH uses sheep shears (HEAVY AF, but really gets the job done.) You can absolutely get it done with scissors if necessary!

If they're standing up, you're less likely to nick their skin than if you try to sit them. It takes DH or me about 15 minutes each. (First tries took us more like 45 minutes, lol) A shearer can do it in like 6 minutes, but I don't like the chaos and stress on the sheep. Plus it's really hard to find someone to shear a small flock! The last good (skilled) shearer I had here was racist and misogynist and couldn't keep his mouth shut. Can't have that around my kids! So we started shearing ourselves.

Watch out for sunburn in the first week after shearing. Keep them in the shade mid-day or put a jacket/tube on them.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Agree! Sheep shearing isn't that scary (if you're not selling the wool). It's just a haircut! I shear mine while they're standing up. I use a high-end pet grooming clipper (clips a narrower strip but weighs less, blades need more fussing with). DH uses sheep shears (HEAVY AF, but really gets the job done.) You can absolutely get it done with scissors if necessary!

If they're standing up, you're less likely to nick their skin than if you try to sit them. It takes DH or me about 15 minutes each. (First tries took us more like 45 minutes, lol) A shearer can do it in like 6 minutes, but I don't like the chaos and stress on the sheep. Plus it's really hard to find someone to shear a small flock! The last good (skilled) shearer I had here was racist and misogynist and couldn't keep his mouth shut. Can't have that around my kids! So we started shearing ourselves.

Watch out for sunburn in the first week after shearing. Keep them in the shade mid-day or put a jacket/tube on them.
Okay, this will be a stupid question, to keep them in the shade do I have to keep them locked up or will they stay in the shade by themselves?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Okay, this will be a stupid question, to keep them in the shade do I have to keep them locked up or will they stay in the shade by themselves?
They will not stay in the shade by themselves. One of mine got a severe sunburn last year because I forgot to put a tube on her. :(

I shear in March or April before my sheep go out to pasture. That way I beat the heat and the sun.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The friend who has helped us with goat hooves before knows how to shear sheep and is willing to help! She uses dog clippers too lol.

When my extra large goat had hoof problems and I couldn’t even get the hoof shears to cut them she was really helpful. I know she’ll treat my animals well.