This crazy girl is getting sheep!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
When introducing sheep (and I assume sheep/goats), put them in a very small pen together. Sheep have to take a few steps backward to ram. If they can't back up, they don't have nearly as much power. A very small pen reduces the chance of injury in the case of a conflict.

Watch out for your goats' safety. If you see a sheep/goat spar, the goat rears and the sheep rams - the goat's belly. Goat 0, Sheep 1.

Ewes don't ram as hard as a ram, but they still do sometimes.

With that said, I have never had an issue with sheep and goats. My ram(s) and sometimes others get moved in with my goats in spring. The pasture is large enough the goats keep away. We just have to feed in two separate areas so the goats get enough to eat. My goats have never had a copper supplement, mineral block, or pelleted feed so I don't have that issue. (My water is high in copper, but seems to be tolerated by both my sheep and goats. IDK?!)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Alright. I’m getting loose sheep minerals, cattle panels (the 50” ones are only $2.00 more than the 36” right now), and all stock feed. Am I missing anything?
I’ll get shears later, and I already have hoof trimmers for the goats.

I plan to switch them from all stock feed (what lady said is comparable to what they eat) to corn/possibly oats. Will that be alright, or will they need to stay on all stock while they finish growing?
If your pasture is decent, they don't need grain. Ewes might need grain during gestation, depending on hay quality. (assuming late gestation occurs in late winter when they are only eating hay.) Your best bet is to have your hay tested and then get a custom grain pellet based on your hay nutrition. It's very reasonable, and last time I had it done the minimum was only 100# of grain.

If you can't get custom grain, then all stock feed is just fine for ewes. I use it unless my hay quality is sus or they're not maintaining condition on hay + all stock feed.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is an exceptional price for the oats even if they are just farm harvested and not "cleaned" like ones that get offered for sale to the public. We buy our wheat for cover crops straight off a farm too and it is definitely cheaper...
I wouldn't see any problem with offering oats and the all stock 50/50... or get a little better protein/developer type feed and then cutting it with the oats 60/40...

@CrealCritter , once an animal has most of it's "growth" then I know of several that feed just corn for a fattening ration for 90-120 days... You are no longer trying to grow out the animal.... you are wanting it to put on fat and carbs is the best way... and it helps with the marbling also ....

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
7BB2D426-9733-4E0D-96EB-4E3891BC67B3.jpeg

I’ll get more tomorrow!

Latest posts