This is about an "anti-frugal" as you can get!!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The thing that most people do not realize is that carbohydrates ENCOURAGE over eating and fat storage where as fats and protein do not. Ft is what produces the feeling of satiety. When you eat carbohydrates, it spikes your blood sugar which stimulates insulin release. Insulin is a FAT STORAGE hormone. It "cleans" the excess sugars out of your blood by stuffing it in your fat cells (in the form of triglycerides) and trapping it there.

So, even after you ate a bunch of food, if that food is carbohydrate-filled, insulin "hides" the nutrients in that food in your fat cells and your cells can't access it. What happens next is your brain turns on the hunger signal again because all the nutrients are "gone" as far as it is concerned.

This is why some people (usually those who are insulin resistant or produce too much insulin in reaction to carbohydrates) are starving an hour after eating a bunch of Chinese take-out.

Here is an interesting article on the whole exercise thing...
The Scientist and the Stairmaster
Why most of us believe that exercise makes us thinnerand why we're wrong.
http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't go for this-good-that-bad nutritional theories. Most of them seem chiefly aimed at helping people choose what to eat from the processed-foods aisles of the grocery store anyhow, which although I suppose people who *are* eating mostly that sort of stuff could at least choose less-harmfully among it, still seems to me to kind of miss the point of actual Good Nutrition.

Personally, I'll stick with eating mostly things that are still recognizeable as to the organism they come from, grown with a minimum of artificial manipulation, not processed too much; eating a variety of things like that; and trying not to eat an excessive total quantity, and stay active and fit.

I think my body can handle the occasional Chinese takeout on top of that :)

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Personally, I'll stick with eating mostly things that are still recognizeable as to the organism they come from, grown with a minimum of artificial manipulation, not processed too much; eating a variety of things like that; and trying not to eat an excessive total quantity, and stay active and fit.

I think my body can handle the occasional Chinese takeout on top of that :)
Pat
I wholeheartedly agree! I think that truly enjoying food, especially with friends and family, or even just a great novel, is as important as what is being eaten. Well, close anyways. I really disliked processed, unwhole foods. If it pretty much is recognizable as the fruit, vegetable, grain or meat it originally was, I'm happy with it :) But, beyond that, I think obsessing on food is really unhealthy. I spent a bit of time last year doing just that, joined a website, tracked all food and exercise, etc. I have never been so insanely obsessed about every single thing I ate. I thought about food ALL the time! Not healthy at all.

So, while I would not be excited to feed my kids deep-fried foods on a regular basis, I think a basically whole-foods diet interspersed with outrageous treats from time to time is really healthy for mind and body :)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Active people, especially athletically active people survive on carbs. You just cannot perform well without them. As someone who eats a plant based diet and who is probably more active than the average American, I survive on carbs. Plant based diets are supposed to be consistently the best for long-term weight control.

Well, I really do believe exercise can make me thinner, anyway. When I was regularly doing over 2 hours at a time of exercise, I got to a point where my face became very boney for lack of much padding. Since I haven't had time to exercise like that in over a year, I have slowly watched my padding increase, even though I am still quite active. :p

Many indigenous peoples evolved to be somewhat sedentary when food was available and when it was not, they had to migrate on foot (and probably relied heavily on their fat reserves to survive). Our bodies are set up to live that way. Feast during times of plenty and survive off the fat when times are lean. It just so happens we haven't encountered really lean times in quite some time. I bet there weren't very many obesity issues during the Great Depression.

In fact, I haven't really been gung-ho about exercising lately, because I'm thinking some extra padding may well come in handy in the not-so-distant future. Hedging my bets. ;)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I think obsessing on food is really unhealthy.
I agree whole-heartedly. It is too easy to obsess about eating or one's weight, if you pay too much attention. I do not own a bathroom scale. I can tell when I'm gaining weight (usually it coincides with winter) and I try to eat lighter in the spring (when my body seems more cooperative), otherwise I eat what I want, when I want, within reason.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Many indigenous peoples evolved to be somewhat sedentary when food was available and when it was not, they had to migrate on foot (and probably relied heavily on their fat reserves to survive). Our bodies are set up to live that way. Feast during times of plenty and survive off the fat when times are lean. It just so happens we haven't encountered really lean times in quite some time. I bet there weren't very many obesity issues during the Great Depression.
Very interesting thought here. I have heard many studies about people pulled from their regular home/diet and incorporated into the typical American diet and lifestyle. Of course, they become very ill. Even if their diet was high carb OR high fat OR high protein. The point is that they evolved to work well with their own diet and activity level.

Good point about exercise, too. I'm training for a half marathon right now. It would be very difficult to do on a low- or no-carb diet. It's hard for the body to break down fat and protein for intense training. But carbs--they're right there, ready to use. I'd like to do more reading on this, though, because I have heard about super long-distance trainers training their bodies (heart rate, breathing?) to burn fat over very long periods of exercise.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I'd like to do more reading on this, though, because I have heard about super long-distance trainers training their bodies (heart rate, breathing?) to burn fat over very long periods of exercise.
I'm more of a crazy long-distance walker and hiker, which is of a lower intensity, so I'm not sure about long-distance running/jogging, as I think that would require more regular carb fueling and could also be more stressful on the body. I'm sure there is probably some good information out there, though, and it would be worth finding it if you are interested in pursuing it.

Good luck with your training! :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I don't go for this-good-that-bad nutritional theories. Most of them seem chiefly aimed at helping people choose what to eat from the processed-foods aisles of the grocery store anyhow
I eat mostly whole foods and use very little (if any) processed food. Lots of leafy greens, berries, some citrus fruit, coconut and coconut milk, fish, yogurt, heavy cream, cheeses, and meat. While some processed food pushers attach their names to a low carbohydrate diet, most of the low carbers don't eat the prepackaged garbage and consider it junk food.

Very interesting thought here. I have heard many studies about people pulled from their regular home/diet and incorporated into the typical American diet and lifestyle. Of course, they become very ill. Even if their diet was high carb OR high fat OR high protein. The point is that they evolved to work well with their own diet and activity level.
I have spent the last 2 years researching native diets. One culture in particular was the Tokelau natives. Their diet was very high in saturated fat (from coconut), fish, and a small amount of plant material. They were healthy, had no obesity, heart disease, diabetes or cancer in the population. When they began getting regular shipments of flour, sugar and processed foods, they got fat and sick. Then the supply ship broke down and they returned to their native diet. The diabetics got better, the overweight people lost weight....

One thing with HEALTHY native cultures is that their diet is not one high in processed carbohydrates. Some are high in animal protein and animal fats, some are high in plant fats and fish, but NONE were high in carbohydrates like the American diet today. The grains they did eat were usually sprouted, or where only mildly milled. Weston Price studied native cultures around the world trying to figure out why these isolated pockets of people were doing so well while others were full of sick people.
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/out_of_africa.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/native_americans.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/thailand.html

One of my favorite studies to follow was the recent Alert Bay study in Canada. Dr. Jay Wortman ( http://www.drjaywortman.com/blog/wordpress/about/ ), after being diagnosed with diabetes, started to eat a diet low in carbohydrates. Then he started returning to a more native diet (he is a descent of a First People's nation). Then an entire village returned to their native foods (or modern equivalent) with fantastic results.
http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/
http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/wortman.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY68SIm1mSA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBCuG2Ufo2Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvf2QmKtq-8&feature=related
One of the most interesting things is that their ancestral diet comprised of a lot of oolichan grease, a fat extracted from little-sardine like fish.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
As someone who eats a plant based diet and who is probably more active than the average American, I survive on carbs. Plant based diets are supposed to be consistently the best for long-term weight control.
I would agree with this! And I don't need a scientist to tell me that. I've seen what its done for my folks and for my family. Its all the proof I need. And all the literature that my folks read about maintaining this lifestyle is years ahead of what researchers and scientists are just now finding out. Wonder how my ol' mama knew it before they did? :hu Not from the most commonly accepted wisdom from the medical field, that's for sure! :lol:

Do you notice how each person feels their diet is the right one? If you asked my folks, who are vegans, you are all eating unhealthy and are going to die early, if you eat what you say you do in your posts! :p

All these studies and research from the medical field are just that, you realize? Just like all the studies done in the 50s, 60s, 70s, etc. Each year they realize that the studies of the previous years were actually faulty and the NEW research shows that NOW this or that is dangerous, unhealthy, leads to obesity, blah, blah, blah!

Post a link, copy an article, preach and preach and preach.....at the end of the day each person will decide for themselves what they wish to eat, what level of health they wish to maintain and just what they will swallow....figuratively or literally! ;)

me&thegals

Reaction score
I agree, beekissed. Just give it to me fresh, without chemicals, colorful, tasty and beautiful, and I'm going to call it good :) Oh, except for chocolate. Process that as much as you need to in order to get it in yummy form!