This is frustrating.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Fortunately there are some tall goodwill donors in my area. I can often get size 16 tall jeans for less than $5 each.

As for mens jeans, nice theory...unless you are curvy. :p

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
ORChick said:
The boss said to DH, who was on the brink of retiring, that he envied him - it must be so nice to be able to retire, but he just couldn't afford it!
Having more things often means more debt, not more spending money.

I know a lot of people who make far more than I do who haven't my savings or as much as I have that is usable.

If you have more money, you have proportionately more bills & more debt, unless you are a rare soul who understands finance and doesn't dig yourself into a hole.
Absolutely! I'm sure DH's boss was up to his eyeballs in debt. We, on the other hand, lived in a small post-WWII box of a house, and didn't "up-size" as soon as we got raises. I had a large garden (large for a suburban lot), and we didn't (don't) get new cars till the old ones are almost dead. Neither the boss, nor we, had children, so that was one expense where we were on par. Once, many years ago, our credit cards got ahead of us by about 500 dollars; except for our mortgage (now paid off) we have never allowed ourselves to get into debt again.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We don't have a sears in town and I don't like ordering through catelog.

I'm also plus size, so tall and plus its like... this disturbing thought that the world has not even begun to understand. I wear between a 16 and an 18 in jeans. Skinny's are best for me, I've found the bell bottoms and boot cut to be too tight in the thigh and also way too short!

I've been looking at some Wrangler riding jeans since they come long.

I'm curvy but mens jeans make me look 10 times wider and it does matter to me, I'm in school and I do like to look at least a little good and put together :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
lupinfarm said:
:( I HAVE to buy $85 jeans.
i'm in that boat with bras. the last two i bought were $60 each and i about threw up when i left the store with them. but i will pay just about anything to have a good bra that is comfortable. and they will last me 3 years at least. i've got friends that shop at Vicky's Secret regularly because the bras are "sexy," but they end up replacing them after a few months when they fall apart or they realize that they are horridly uncomfortable.
That is my weakness too. I'm a size you can't usually get at a normal store and they usually fit terribly (painfully).

I plan to pay $45 - 60 each at Victoria's Secret, but I've had a string of luck. I have found 6 brand-new Victoria's Secret bras IN MY SIZE at Saver's for $10 each. Phew! And they are the good ones that last. I haven't had to buy one for 2 years. THAT is a good deal!

I have an old Victoria's Secret which is one of the prettiest they have ever made. They don't make them anymore - but they still use HUGE posters of them in their stores! Anyways, it is a lacy one and it really is falling apart. I love it and pull it out for special occassions. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:

I'm also plus size, so tall and plus its like... this disturbing thought that the world has not even begun to understand. I wear between a 16 and an 18 in jeans. Skinny's are best for me, I've found the bell bottoms and boot cut to be too tight in the thigh and also way too short!

I'm curvy but mens jeans make me look 10 times wider and it does matter to me, I'm in school and I do like to look at least a little good and put together :)
Don't feel guilty. I think we all have a non-SS "weakness". :) I turned on the air conditioner today!

:hide

You get comfort and confidence out of your purchase!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
tortoise said:
lupinfarm said:

Don't feel guilty. I think we all have a non-SS "weakness". :) I turned on the air conditioner today!

:hide

You get comfort and confidence out of your purchase!
Too funny!! If I had A/C I would have turned it on today! I don't mind being cold, however I get very grumpy when I'm hot. We are having a tiny heat wave this week. I hope I don't come unglued. *pant pant pant*

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
On a auto related message board that I frequent, is a post asking how cold(or hot) do you have your AC set. :th
Apparently the OP and his wife disagree on how low or how high to set the thermostat. :he

Our idea of AC, is a couple of large shade trees out front, and a few big fans in the house. :gig

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to admit, I'm a bit whimp when it comes to heat.

Since this house (and all the other ones in the area) didn't come with a.c. the old chestnut tree and a water hose is our only solice when it gets really hot. The quiet lake down the road is great too, however right now it* is still very, very cold. ("Really hot" is anything over 80 degrees imo.)

As we speak, I have opened the windows on the east and the south sides of the house and I'm finally getting a breeze.

I am proud of myself for not using tons of costly electricity for creature comforts...however, I'm still on the grumpy side. :p

eta: *the lake that is.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:/ You think you guys have it bad? We're on a hill and are extremely exposed. The extent of our trees? We have 2 immature crabapples in the front garden (immature, as in bought from the garden centre this year). We have a tin roof, and no attic space so it gets really hot upstairs. My bedroom faces south with only 1 window that opens and the other cannot be open at night until mum fixes the bugscreen. Our fans are pumping around HOT air. I am NOT a hot weather person. I'm not a cold weather person either. I'm English and I prefer warm or cool weather. English weather. I was out for maybe 15 minutes today feeding the pony and my extremely fair skin is now bright lobster red. We get direct sun all day long. ALLLLLL DAY LONG. We don't have AC either. None. Not even a window air conditioner. My dad is dead set on NOT buying an AC unit of any kind, he thinks that we can "tough it out". Needless to say mum has decided that no only are we buying a portable AC unit at the end of the season for weeks like this for next year (mostly for the cats, who are all expiring (not really) in the kitchen)) but she is also buying one of those huge blow up pools lol.

I finally found a bra I like, funny enough from wal-mart that doesn't pinch or anything. Its the 'curvation' line.

My biggest splurge? The frames I bought for my glasses a few years ago. I spent way more than I had intended, close to about $800 for 1 pair of glasses but they were just so awesome and since I don't have insurance I thought it was better to buy a good, high quality, pair of glasses I'd love forever. I now own 2 pairs from this particular brand (Lafont) and also have a pair of prescription sunglasses (required for driving).

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I could not imagine not having my ac! Then again, this Arkansas we are talking about. My MIL did good and did not turn it on until late June. She will probally keep it on until September. After that, it's fans and the attic fan. Clothes are a real pain in the butt to buy. I'm 5'3 and were a size 20. It was even worst when I was both fat and had 36 H bras to buy! Now I'm just fat. I was thrilled to find my size at our Goodwill. We have donated there several times before but I really never thought about shopping there. I shop alot at the Dollar Tree because my SO works there. I'm still learning ya'll so bear with me.