This Journal Section

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
IMHO - Been giving this some thought. Why can't those of us that really like the journals continue but use more caution about posting recipes, SS informaton, etc. We can make reference to our journals that those things have been posted in the appropriate place.
I don't think anyone who has posted a journal has done so with a "Look at me and what I have done" intention. I have also noticed that most of the post on other peoples journals have been simply a social getting to know each other thing.
Yes, we did get carried away and were so busy reading everyones journals and posting responses that the rest of the forum kind of went to the wayside. But we did all have a great time. I still think they are a good idea. And now that it has been pointed out what was happening we can be more careful. That recipes and important things we are doing towards SS can be put in the right place.
But for those of us that like the social aspect of the journals we can still use those for our daily activities that are really mundane but which some of us really like to know about each other.
ScottyG's baby care, Quails SIL rants, Bees descriptions of where she lives, to name just a few.
And for those that don't want to bother they will know they are not missing anything important.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion, what if the journals did not appear in the "Recent Topics" section at the bottom of the page? Maybe there could just be something somewhere on the page saying "Check out our members journals" or something like that, but the "Recent Topics" would only include the non-journal postings? Does that make sense? I do like to occasionally look at journals, but I also miss the usual idea, suggestion, question postings that we're all used to.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
2dream said:
But for those of us that like the social aspect of the journals we can still use those for our daily activities that are really mundane but which some of us really like to know about each other.
ScottyG's baby care, Quails SIL rants, Bees descriptions of where she lives, to name just a few.
And for those that don't want to bother they will know they are not missing anything important.
Yes, that is exactly what the journals were intended to be, the social stuff, personal musings, rants (I do love a good rant!), etc.

I'm happy others have recognized the issue. Hopefully those recipes (there were recipes posted??!?) and other helpful suggestions will make their way into the regular forums and we can all get back to enjoying learning how to be more self sufficient! :clap

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I was just thinking that about my own thread which has turned into a conversation about vegetarian Thanksgiving foods. And thinking that I should move that discussion elsewhere.
I too have a hard time reading all the journal entries then I feel a little weird responding to some but not others. I'm reading as fast as I can!! Honest!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I'm with everyone here....I love the journal idea, but found myself overwhelmed when trying to read everyone's entries. Then I felt guilty for not responding, or reading. I think its a good idea, if possible, to not have the journal section in the recent posts....Yes, its a rant, get to know you, have silly or personal conversations type thing, but I agree in the aspect that we need to get back to the forum itself and its purpose.

Can it be omitted from the recent posts? No idea. More coffee please. :caf

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have a silly question. Isn't that what My Page is for? I thought it was like a blog, My Page that is? Am I wrong. Isn't the journal and My Page more or less the same thing? Maybe the Journals should be moved to My Page?
I don't know someone help me out here?:hu Maybe I'm wrong.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Coopy, you may be right. ALthough I have never, until you mentioned it, made a My Page. I clicked over and WOW. I think this afternoon or tomorrow I may start posting there...it looks like it could be lots of fun designing it, etc, but I need time and this morning ain't it! LOL (sorry to hijack this thread)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This I think is normal with the new journal section. We are all catching up on the daily grinds of each other...LOL...it will slow and more threads about SS stuff in general will take over again. Something new is always used alot, but this too shall pass.

and yes I will be more mindful like you mentioned to be sure SS stuff threads are put where they belong. We can easily bury good info in a journal and people won't see it.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I have a question! I was using my journal to post about everyday life here, I understand about posting the SS stuff in topics it belongs in, but I like posting about the days adventures. I wanted to eventually post all my chooks pictures in there...

Ok basically I want to use my journal to post about my critters and maybe the occassional SIL rant (which will only be about 1-2 times a year :lol: ) so is that acceptable?

Or should I just flood the homesteading with animals thread with pictures of my critters?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
remember one thing guys

the journals are not required reading, no one will be upset if no one responds to the journals.

journals are personal diaries and some of us want to track our daily adventures, some don't want to do that.....it doesn't matter. If you don't want to maintain a journal don't. Don't feel obligated in any way. Those who want to, like Quail and me and others, just post our daily adventures and pics and anyone who wants to visit the journal is welcome.

but do not put pressure on anyone to do anything with the journals.

just my opinion on journals..LOL----I love posting the day in the journal. I do it for me for my thoughts, etc. Where I been and where I am going and what happened in between. Just enjoyable for me......but everyone do their own thing! L)