this used to be a pillowcase!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I'm so proud of myself, this is my first try at a tote bag and I figured I would start out simple and use a pillowcase. I cut off the top 8 inches and then cut the seam off of that so that I had one long piece. I cut that in half longways, hemmed them, and made 2 handles. I sewed the triangles into the inside to flatten the bottom of the bag and hemmed the top edge, attaching the handles at the same time, and topstitched 2 rows of stitches to secure the handles on the top. It took about a half hour to do. I am using it to carry all of my mismatched reusable grocery bags. Since it does not have a lining or batting or interfacing to make it thicker and more stable I won't be carrying anything heavy in it. The next one I make will have a lining and will be thicker but I thought this would be a good idea for all of you that might have odd pillowcases laying around.

P5010190.jpg

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Love it. If I used all my mismatched pillow cases to make tote bags out of I would not have anything to go on my pillows. LOL

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I just kind of threw it together and I am really happy with it. Much more stylish than the ugly walmart bag I had! :D

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow! That is nice. I was just thinking today about practicing with my new sewing machine. So far, I have only used it for hemming things like pants. Something like this would be a good first project for me. I have not done much sewing in quite a long time. :cool:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I like longer handles on totes like yours. It never fails that no matter what I am doing, I need to free up a hand/arm and short handled totes are not accommodating.
Thanks for sharing your idea!