This will scare you.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sitting here chuckling inside as I read these posts. You guys are great!

"poop in the blades" :love

"clench your buttocks, it's going to be a bumpy ride!" :ep

"Backyard nuke plants? Like the Back-to-the-Future household fusion reactor in the Delorian at the end of the first movie? Love it!" :clap

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Yeah Boogity, look out, some of conservative-type folks actually have a sense of humor.... :lol:

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
Another day and just more of the same. People blaming whatever ills the country is suffering from on the current person in charge. It's always amusing to watch. Don't worry. Only 6 more years.:)
Thank goodness some folks never had any training in leadership as an officer in the military. Seems as though every young person who is ever trained as an officer is told from day one in their career, "An officer is responsible for EVERYTHING his men DO or FAIL to do."

One such fellow (who was only promoted to the rank of captain in the US Army) did seem to get that after he achieved a much higher ranking position. If you looked at his desk, there was a sign that succinctly explained what some folks have never been willing to accept.

The sign read: "THE BUCK STOPS HERE"

So, yes...it is safe to say that leadership is getting others to do what you want them to do, WILLINGLY. And then there are those folks who spend all their time complaining that "it was X's fault!" How long should we wait before it isn't anyone elses fault any longer?

"But then, Brutus IS an honorable man...."

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
That's true. If you inherit a mess then you need to do your best to just clean it up. Who was the President that made that saying about the buck stops here famous.

During the Iraq war I was very surprised that the buck stopped at such a low spot for those soldiers at that prison. If I remember correctly the buck stopped at about level E-5. Didn't even make it into officer country.

Sadly it seems like Truman or whoever did the buck stops here saying was a one of a kind guy. I don't believe I've ever seen anything but passing the buck. One thing I did learn in the Army is that the S*** always rolls down hill.

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
JRmom said:
MsPony said:
JRmom said:
LOL! My husband and I were talking about that just last night... how it would be uncomfortable, but really, we could live just fine without electricity... food is our main concern.
Learn to hunt and scavenge! :)
We do hunt and fish (well, hubby hunts). We are fortunate that our cabin is in the middle of a National forest, with access to 3 large lakes, plus a river. I guess what I meant to say is that our priority is providing food for ourselves (which we already do), not worrying about how to live without electricity. Although, not having A/C at night with these hot flashes would be worrisome! :lol:
JRmom my friend, I read a lot of posts by people who say that they are planning on hunting and fishing to feed their families which tells me that you are going to have a lot of competition.

While hunting and fishing game is one way to go I often ask people how they plan to get to where they are going to hunt or fish? In your case this might not be an issue but for people who arent in the same situation it might present a problem of getting to where you are going to harvest the game and getting back home with the meat from a deer if you are so lucky.

The other question I ask people is how they are planning preserving the meat if there is no electric to run a freezer. You can smoke it, but how many folks know how to smoke meat much less have a smoker. You could can the meat but canning without a wood burning stove would be difficult at best. I guess that you could do it over an open fire, but Ive never read of anyone who has ever done it that way.

The other option to storing meat would be to dry it into jerky, but how many people have built a solar powered dehydrator.

I have often suggested that people think about raising chickens and other poultry, rabbits and sit up a hydroponic system that allows them to raise fish and veggies. By raising the animals in your back yard you are sure that you are going to have meat, you dont have to leave your property and the meat would meal sized which eliminates the need for storage.

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
MsPony said:
I really wish Obama would put a cap on gas prices. $4.13 at the cheap places here, I'm majorly depressed.
MsPony price controls do not work. Never have and never will.
For example in the case of gasoline at the local station, no matter what controls the government would place on the price at the pump the government would not be able to control the cost of foreign oil. What will happen is that there will be shortages of gasoline.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
philpatton said:
MsPony said:
I really wish Obama would put a cap on gas prices. $4.13 at the cheap places here, I'm majorly depressed.
For example in the case of gasoline at the local station, no matter what controls the government would place on the price at the pump the government would not be able to control the cost of foreign oil. What will happen is that there will be shortages of gasoline.
The market (i.e. the people) made their statement clearly when they stopped buying as much gasoline. Yes, it hurt a tiny bit to curtail our freedom of going anywhere we wanted as often as we wanted but by reducing our consumption at the rate we had been consuming, the entire supply system backed up and within a very short time, the prices fell.
The suppliers are not afraid of this again and we need to do the same thing. WE, THE PEOPLE can bring them to their knees.
Why don't folks just stand in front of all the "XYZ" gas stations on one day and not buy gas from them for say a week? What do you think would happen to the supply system and thus, the price?
I'll bet it would come down real quick.
WE have the ability. The question is do we have the WILL?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yup. Nixon tried, Carter tried, Soviet Russia tried.....

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
If I were made Queen of America tomorrow (scary thought eh? LOL) I would be opening nuclear plants like mad ala France . We already have a place to store the waste. (Yucca Flats)
The funny thing I when I first start taking solar classes I was VERY anti-nuke. I quickly changed my mind. Funny with math can do :D

The main thing the gvnmt can do is allow individual homeowners to be more energy diverse. If you were to build a home tomorrow using passive solar with a wood stove back up, and PVC panels on the roof off grid, you could not get a home loan. Even with a big down payment, they will not let you NOT be on the grid.

"replacing efficient energy with inefficient sources will no more advance the economy than replacing trucks with horses."
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/21780/
Did you mean Yucca Mountain? Yucca Flats is a test site.

And right now Yucca Mountain ain't happening, it was shut down by the current administration.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Wouldn't it be a wonderful miracle if we could find a group of leaders who want to close the chasm between the right and the left? We have such a rich and powerful and yes, loving nation but our differences are so extreme and over powering that we are moving backwards.

It's no secret, I'm a Tea Party Conservative but I absolutely hate people like Rush Limbaugh, Rachael Madow, Randi Rhodes, Montel Williams and Sean Hannity. I personally think these clowns have done more to damage our nation than the previous three presidents have. And our last three POTUS have been real losers. I think our current administration is, without a doubt, the worst. Ever.

I do like Glenn Beck because he only presents facts that have been thoroughly researched. He gets ridiculous with his theatrics sometimes but I have investigated him and his team of researchers and they are diligent in they're efforts to be factual. I think he is doing our nation a great service. However I do wish he would expose more of the creeps on the right. I'm the kind of person who questions EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. I'm very skeptical of everyone in the media and I think most are BS peddlers.

Some may be reading this and wondering what this has to do with self sufficiency. My way of thinking is that if we would all pull together the need for survival preparations would decrease.
Oh really? Seems like he stepped on it big time not too long ago. I wish I could remember what it was about.