This year was not a good one. Tips for next year?

RedneckCowgirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our house is getting foreclosed on soon and once we find a new place (we hope to have at least a couple acres) we will have a little homestead. Any tips on saving money? We tend to be big spenders but would like to be able to afford a down payment on a place. Is couponing worth it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You need Dave Ramsey. Go to the library and check out Total Money Makeover. He also has a radio show.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I agree with Wifezilla. Couponing is just a drop in the bucket. If you follow Dave's advice, he will teach you how to manage your money, rather than letting your emotions and money manage you. Once you have those basics, then you can start fine-tuning.

It sounds like you have a great dream and just need to establish the steps necessary to get there. Clarify your goals by writing down exactly what you want to accomplish and breaking that down step by step. Keep those goals in writing in your wallet, beside your computer monitor, where ever you are when you spend money. When you are tempted to spend, look at those goals and ask yourself if that purchase takes you closer or further away from your dream.

And don't kid yourself that it will be easy or that there are shortcuts. It's not and there aren't. But it will change your life and be worth it!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I spend a lot less by NOT couponing or looking at sales flyers. I still have stuff on shelves that I got this way years ago. I just make a list of the whole food ingredients I need and send hubby to the store. We spend far less. Most sales flyers are full of junk food and most coupons are for overpriced items. It keeps me from buying "good deals" that I don't need or rarely use.

I did ok with couponing 15-20 years ago but in recent years the coupons are not worth it. At least around here.

Find ways to NOT SPEND. Do everything yourself and make do. We cut-cut-cut expenses until we didn't think we could cut anymore. Then the Dow plunged again and we cut again as clients disappeared. We think we can't cut anymore and gas prices shoot up. We cut some more. It is amazing how little you can really live on (and live reasonably well!)

Find a place to live, if possible, where you can have a little garden, or have one nearby. You can save a lot and prepare yourself with the skills needed for your future homestead. Before you know it you'll be telling us about your chickens and your goats!

:welcome

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I save wonderful money couponing. Big money that you could easily put in the bank.

Your key words for me in the post was 'we are big spenders'

well ya gotta change that. Not sure what circumstances got you into foreclosure...but learn from it! Best anyone can do.

Time to think frugal. Time to think 'can I do it cheaper myself'. Time to think 'no more 'want this or want that' spending'

being financially sound starts in the mind. You can have alot of money or hardly no money, but WHAT you do with it after it is in your hot little hands makes a big difference on how well you live! :)

RedneckCowgirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice :) When we move it will likely be to a smaller place as right now we have ten acres, but the only animals w e have are dogs and a mini. We are trying to keep the house as long as possible, but foreclosure is inevitable. My mom got the house when her and my dad divorced, but recently he passed away in a car accident so we no longer have his payment coming in to make the mortgage every month. So we plan on changing things spending wise ASAP, plus my mom is going to teach me how to can, and we will learn dehydrating and gardening and stuff together :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you got it gal...change that thinking to survival mode lol

sorry about the loss of the home. it sucks for sure. but you will be fine if you put your mind into it for real and go with the flow.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!!! I would say survival mode for sure. When you buy a place I say look for the basics and move in ready. Not sure where your located but finding the right place can make living less expensuve.

There are so many every day things you can do. Just make a budget, including money into a savings account and go from there.

Hang out here for a while, you'll find cheaper ways to do everything.

G

some of my favorite books.
Back to Basics
Have More Plan.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
*Smacks forehead*** http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=895 Read 10 pages a day and take notes as to anything that you think you might one day incorporate into your life or want to research. I found this thread very useful and you'll see a lot of my posts at some point. I'd made it my goal to save something almost every day to change my mindset. It helped me a lot.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My best tip is to never buy ANYTHING until you can save up enough money in the bank to buy the quality item that you want. Tip #2 always look for a used quality item FIRST, before buying new.

There was a time I wanted:

A new dehydrator = $116.00

A new bread machine = $150.00

A new leather living room set = $1,500.00

Then I found:

Brand new in the box dehydrator at garage sale $5.00

Brand new in the box bread machine (complete with Christmas tags) $5.00

Excellent condition from a ritzy house that was moving Designer leather recliner $100.00 and a matching sofa from the thrift store in excellent condition $100.00

You can still live large ... it just takes saving, planning and some diligent shopping to accomplish it. :cool: