This year was not a good one. Tips for next year?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
freemotion said:
*Smacks forehead*** http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=895 Read 10 pages a day and take notes as to anything that you think you might one day incorporate into your life or want to research. I found this thread very useful and you'll see a lot of my posts at some point. I'd made it my goal to save something almost every day to change my mindset. It helped me a lot.
I agree, I have read the whole thread and it should be turned into a book of frugal, money saving ideas. I have learned so many frugal ideas from reading it and continuing to receive updates on how everyone is saving money.

I am also in agreement with Freemotion on couponing. If you are eating mostly whole foods making food from scratch, you are still going to pay less than using coupons for highly processed, packaged, sweetened and salted foods. If that is what you usually buy, great. But we don't eat that way so coupons are clipped and used, but it isn't our biggest way of saving money on items. We sometimes luck out and find ones for things we normally consume, but most coupons are not for things like sacks of flour or bags of rice or bulk items like we buy.

We also went through some bad years and had to change our lifestyle quite a bit. We spent too much on things that were not important. Figure out what expenses you have that are essential to survival and pay them first. Entertainment, vacations, new things, are not essential to survival. Things like food and toilet paper are. Things have gotten better for us since our foreclosure, but we have not changed our frugal habits. Buy clothes used. Shop Goodwill and other similar type stores, you can find most things you need there and pay a fraction of new. Check all the prices at different stores before you buy. Get rid of expensive cars and when you downsize your house, make sure you can afford the new rent/mortgage with just one income, in case you lose one. If you have expensive hobbies, put them on the back burner. Instead of going to the gym, mow the lawn with a push mower.......that kind of thing. I used to pay too much money to have fancy colors put into my hair. Stuff like that has to end. You might be surprised at how much you learn.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
RedneckCowgirl said:
Thank you all for the advice :) When we move it will likely be to a smaller place as right now we have ten acres, but the only animals w e have are dogs and a mini. We are trying to keep the house as long as possible, but foreclosure is inevitable. My mom got the house when her and my dad divorced, but recently he passed away in a car accident so we no longer have his payment coming in to make the mortgage every month. So we plan on changing things spending wise ASAP, plus my mom is going to teach me how to can, and we will learn dehydrating and gardening and stuff together :)
Instead of waiting for foreclosure, you might consider putting it up for sale now and keeping your credit rating up. You'll have more options. And yes - definitely check out the saving money threads here.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Remember ... just because holidays are coming up, does NOT mean you have to spend money. Instead of giving out candy to the kids, turn off your lights and sit in the basement, playing board games by candlelight. Will give great practice for when there's no electricity. Have young kids? Make costumes of borrow .. it's only ONE night ... a brand-new costume for that?

Thanksgiving does NOT have to equal a huge spread. Have a pot-luck for other down-on-their-luck people, saying that no one can spend more than 5 or 10 dollars per dish.

Christmas is NOT about gifts. We've already put the word out that we're not exchanging gifts. Not even going to have a big meal. Just getting a few things for my son, then we'll sit at home, probably by the fire, and play board and card games, roast wienies at the fire, and play with the puppy. Possibly goat babies too. Brainstorm with your family to come up with a very cheap plan that will work for you. Perhaps do a gift exchange but only if presents are home-made, or made with macaroni or everyone has to write a poem, and one person coordinates to bind and give everyone a copy.

Don't feel obligated to spend money just because others do. It's rough but you CAN stick to your guns.

And about the foreclosure ... if you let it go now, you won't be able to get another "homestead" of your own any time soon. I agree ... put it for sale now.

Now is the time people start thinking about Christmas so .. can you make birdfeeders from cheap peanut butter and pine cones from your (or your neighbor's) yards? Make ornaments. Crochet scarves. Bake Thanksgiving pies for your busy neighbors.

You can do it.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Really sit down and figure out what needs and wants are. You would be surprised to find out how many things you thought were needs but were really wants.

A great show to watch is "Till Debt Do Us Part" and "Princess" on CNBC money channel. Both are on Saturday nights. http://classic.cnbc.com/id/33421145

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is the house already in foreclosure? Are there things you could do to prevent that?

Maybe subdivide a few 1 acre building lots? (Building lots sell for $15,000-$90,000 depending on location, you'd have a smaller place that could maybe be paid for)

Take in renters if you are close to a city? (In school I paid $300/month to rent a bedroom)

Take in boarders (horses, farm animals etc.) in the barn? (Horse board runs about $200/month for a barn without amenities)

Anything to bring in some extra cash each month... along with cutting back spending on everything. No cable tv, no take out food, no new clothes, make your own EVERYTHING (from laundry soap to food... a loaf of whole grain bread is $4.00 at the store here, but I can bake a loaf for less than a dollar)

*** Numbers are examples from my area, obviously it would be different for every area but it was just some ideas. :)

I LOVE 'til Debt do us Part' It's a great show. She cuts some peoples expenses by 90% and they still do just fine on the reduced money.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I might have missed it, but I didn't see any mention of keeping track of what you spend now. Keep a notebook, or just a sheet of paper in your wallet, and write down everything you spend every day; other family members should do this too. This is an excellent way of finding out where the little leaks are - a cup of coffee here, a candy bar there, a newspaper or magazine to read over lunch. Most of us are aware of our bigger expenditures; its the little ones that sneak up on you. Keep track for at least several weeks - better, several months - and you'll have a much better overview of where your money is going, and a better idea of what can be cut out.
Good luck, and :welcome

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love watching Debt Do us Part. I cant imagine spending 5000 more than i make every month. thats Crazy!!! What has really helped me save is that i have money automatically taken out of my checking acct on the days i get paid every month. That way, i dont even have to do anything to save. Just put my check in the bank, and the next day it takes out the appropriate funds and puts it in a money market acct.. I know the acct isnt making any money really, but i just want to save it, not make millions on it. And its kinda a pain to get the money OUT, so it keeps me from thinking of spending it cuz you have to call to get a check sent to you and it takes a few days. So, i havent used any yet. It really works well. I take out 700/month right off the top and then i figure everything else out for the rest of the month without that money, cuz its already gone. I used to figure out how much everything else was FIRST, and then how ever much is left, would put in savings. Thats the wrong way to look at it. I want to save 700/month, so that comes out first. We are trying to save for a nice place in the country with 5-10 acres, so we are going to be saving for a while.
My hubby also i going to find another part-time job. he works 4- 10/hr days, so he can find something friday and saturday and make some extra money to go towards our down payment. im also working more hours at my job too. I work 6 days a week, 6-7 hours/day so im kinda maxed out on hours since we have 2 kids and alot to do at home already. It wont be long term, but ANYTHING to make more money will help us. Im also thinking about donating plasma. Its a good thing to do anyways, and $200 extra a month will help too. If we didnt have kids, i would find another job too, but with a 10year old and a 10month old, im pretty busy right now.

Good luck with your house.... -Rach

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rd200 said:
I love watching Debt Do us Part. I cant imagine spending 5000 more than i make every month. thats Crazy!!! What has really helped me save is that i have money automatically taken out of my checking acct on the days i get paid every month. That way, i dont even have to do anything to save. Just put my check in the bank, and the next day it takes out the appropriate funds and puts it in a money market acct.. I know the acct isnt making any money really, but i just want to save it, not make millions on it. And its kinda a pain to get the money OUT, so it keeps me from thinking of spending it cuz you have to call to get a check sent to you and it takes a few days. So, i havent used any yet. It really works well. I take out 700/month right off the top and then i figure everything else out for the rest of the month without that money, cuz its already gone. I used to figure out how much everything else was FIRST, and then how ever much is left, would put in savings. Thats the wrong way to look at it. I want to save 700/month, so that comes out first. We are trying to save for a nice place in the country with 5-10 acres, so we are going to be saving for a while.
My hubby also i going to find another part-time job. he works 4- 10/hr days, so he can find something friday and saturday and make some extra money to go towards our down payment. im also working more hours at my job too. I work 6 days a week, 6-7 hours/day so im kinda maxed out on hours since we have 2 kids and alot to do at home already. It wont be long term, but ANYTHING to make more money will help us. Im also thinking about donating plasma. Its a good thing to do anyways, and $200 extra a month will help too. If we didnt have kids, i would find another job too, but with a 10year old and a 10month old, im pretty busy right now.

Don't want to quibble, but, if you are getting money for it you are not donating, you are selling :lol:
Not to say that this is a bad thing - it isn't - and good for you that you do it. I should look into that; they won't let me donate blood (because I've spent *too much* time in Europe over the last 20 years - over 6 months! Well, yes - my DH's siblings still live there, and a trip every few years to see them adds up over 2 decades), but maybe they would accept plasma.
By the way - :welcome

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
rd200 said:

Don't want to quibble, but, if you are getting money for it you are not donating, you are selling :lol:
Not to say that this is a bad thing - it isn't - and good for you that you do it. I should look into that; they won't let me donate blood (because I've spent *too much* time in Europe over the last 20 years - over 6 months! Well, yes - my DH's siblings still live there, and a trip every few years to see them adds up over 2 decades), but maybe they would accept plasma.
By the way - :welcome
yes, you are right. then i would be selling it!!! I still havent made the innitial apptment, cuz it will be like 3 hours for the first appt. and im having a hard time finding 3 solid hours to do that. Thanks, Rach

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i agree with writing EVERYTHIGN down, see where your "big spending" habits are, do you go out to eat alot, mabe its trips to the movies, mabe you just have expensive tastes in furniture or an adiction to expensive coffee ect...
figre out where the money is going first...you need to find the problem areas before you can fix them.

budget budget budget...
how much is comming in, how much is going out on NESSECITIES (bills) and can we cut that down?
shop around for car insurance
use timers on items that dont need to be on all the time but are difficult to unplug (ie lamps)
unplug computers, tvs, steroe systems ect when not in use to save on the electric bill...
adjust thermostats for summer and winter...(instal them if you dont have any lol)

in terms fo the pets, what food are they eating, can we feed a same or even better quality food for less (i could easily spend $50 on a 40lb bag of dog food from petco looking for something good, but instead i get a GREAT food form costco for $28 for a 40lb bag...thats a huge savings)
grooming, do it yourself...a bathtub and a dremmel are all you realy need lol...
and dogs dont need expensive treats and toys..make things, dehydrate your own chicken for treats ect.

check out what your eating, processed foods cost more per lb than whole ingredients...buy wholesome ingredients and make your own.
couponing is wirth it IF you have the time and you are smart enough to look for the REAL deals...coupons on meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains are the ones your looking for, pasta and rice are good staples to have in if you cant make your own and when you can find a coupon for $1 off 2 and your store is having a $1 a box sale...it works out well...but you do have to "shop around" (most places now have their weekly sales flyers online) often the coupons are for an already more expensive item that doesnt go on sale often....so it may still be cheaper to buy your normal brand despite having a coupon for something else. and again each sticker will have a unit price...usally price per ounce of pound next to the price of the box...if box a is 6.99 a box but has a unit price of 1.99 a lb and box B is 4.99 a box but a unit price of 2.50 a lb, box a is a better value...

shop IN SEASON...your going to pay more for a quart of strawberries in the middle of winter...so do you REALY need strawberries in the middle of winter?

even home decore, furnishings ect...make your own, recycle, buy used and thrift...
sometimes however its cheaper to buy it...
i just bought a table for mew home, its a walmounted rop leaf, i took dad with me we got the price then we whent to the hardware store and riced up the wood, paint and hinges....it would have cost almost double to build it myself from new materials in the same materials than it was to buy it from ikea...
i could have probably made it from used materials for cheaper, but time is also a factor...

you can do this! especially with the help of this forum.

and i agree, if the house isnt undergoing the legal paperwork yet, talk to the bank about selling it now in a short sale, or mabe selling off 5 acres of the land, might be enough to get you form under the water and still keep your home.