Those netted bags that onions come in...

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I actually bought a bunch from a Mo. Amish veggie auction. I had my aunt mail them to me. I buy onions in bulk and hang in back up pantry.

RudeKittyLuvsTesla

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am sure they can bite through them, but I think the tangly mesh annoys them and they move on. I am willing to give it a try since I don't have any cast iron pumpkin protectors handy :)
They got my whole cantaloupe crop this year.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Some of them are good for scrubbies, others not so much, it depends on the brand (well not the 'brand' of onions, but you know what I mean).

They're very useful for storing garlic in, especially when you're trying to keep varieties separate and it's hardneck garlic so doesn't braid well.

The denser-woven ones, e.g. the big 25 lb bag sizes that are almost getting towards burlap-ish, are good for making manure tea.

I use them to organize gardening gloves, kids' outdoor toys, etcetera.

But like you I always feel like there should be more I could use them for and would really like to know what :)

Pat

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. We go through a bag of onions every week and half or so (yes, we love onions) so I've jsut been balling them up and staching them under the counter. I like the idea of using them as scrubbies, and also reusing them for storing garlic and onions, which is why I'm hoping they make it and I actually get a crop. XD

And actually, Wifezilla gave me an idea: She wants to protect her pumpkins, but I think they'd work great for supporting pumpkins and melons that you train on trellis. I do that to save space, so I'll keep them around for that use. :D

Thanks!

sheaviance1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use them for gathering mushrooms to allow them to continue dropping spores.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
RudeKittyLuvsTesla said:
Wifezilla said:
I am sure they can bite through them, but I think the tangly mesh annoys them and they move on. I am willing to give it a try since I don't have any cast iron pumpkin protectors handy :)
They got my whole cantaloupe crop this year.
Time to fry some squirrels!!

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tie one to the drain hose of the washer to catch lint that would clog the drain.

Tie up small items to wash in the dish washer (top rack).

Suet and fruit for birds in winter.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I've used them for yarn bits and other scraps to hang out at nesting time for the wild birds. DS's former speech pathologist used them to store small toys she used in therapy, the idea being that a plastic bag is more hazardous to small children than a mesh one that they can breath through if they happen to put it over their head.... She used those lingerie washing bags until she realized that she had onion bags that were free. She just thread twine through the top to make a drawstring.

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In late winter/early spring I use them for wild birds. I sweep up some of the daily dog hair and put it in the bag, hanging under the eaves. The wrens love it for nest building! :D

The rest of the year, I put those leftover bits of soap, all of them, and use it in the kitchen for hand scrubbing.