Three up....Three down!!!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Ground hogs that is. :lol: My buddy Jerry, who owns the farm that I hunt, called me yesterday about a little ground hog problem he had in one of his clover fields. We drove back so he could show me where they were, and holycow, it looked like an apartment complex with all the holes they had dug!! I took a stroll back to that field early this morning, with the .44 hand cannon, but came up empty handed(dangit!):he Headed back this afternoon about 4:45 and in less than 10 minutes had three kills out of one den! One died underground and the other two died right in the entrance's to the den. I think I'll head back over tomorrow evening to see if I can find any more. :weee

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
How would you like a nice bed and breakfast (lunch and dinner, too) in the Northeast? Bring your gun..... :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My dogs would be in heaven! :love My dog, Lucy, almost dug the foundations out from under a storage building once, going after a groudhog....I didn't know a dog could dig so fast and so far! :p

My dad used to bowhunt groudhogs each spring.....sigh! He hasn't done that for a long time and will probably never do it again now that he has ALZ. :(

Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Sorry to hear about your dad Bee. :(

I'm going to ask a stupid question, but can you eat groundhog?
Probably depends on if you shoot them with a .44

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
There isn't a whole lot left to clean for the pot, after ya hit'm with a .44 at 100 yards. :lol: I gotta remember to take my earplugs with me today. That ported barrel on the Anaconda sure does bark when you let the lead fly!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Yes, you can eat groundhog. I've never tried it, but my DH says it's quite tasty.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
There isn't a whole lot left to clean for the pot, after ya hit'm with a .44 at 100 yards. :lol:
That perfect! The fewer scraps of meat in a groundhog stew the better. :gig

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Keep in mind that ground hogs carry rabies and are the most frequent carriers of all rodents. If you access your county health dept site it will show the numbers infected and where found on a map.
I have read that they are the most numerous of any rabies carriers in some areas. So, clean and eat with caution because it can be difficult to tell with ground hogs. :(