Three up....Three down!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Huh! I had never heard that before....heard alot about coons and possums having rabies, but never groundhogs. Yes, you can eat them.....they are kind of greasy but taste like a big squirrel. I know a lot of old country folks that fill their freezers every spring and summer with whistle pigs and really love the flavor.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a family of 4 living under my red horse barn. They have no holes in the pasture, therefore, they live. They are my wildlife pets and off limits to Tony---oh yes, he wanted to shoot.....but as long as there is no holes, they are OK to stay here.

BUT when I lived in PA....wow, groundhogs would just hole up entire pastures and of course, horse legs and holes don't mix....yup, fun day of hunting.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Do they eat your gardens? Around these parts, they can clean out a row or two of veggies each time they visit, so they are persona nongrata......I don't have any at my place as I have the Great Coon/Hog Killer living in my yard! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Do they eat your gardens? Around these parts, they can clean out a row or two of veggies each time they visit, so they are persona nongrata......I don't have any at my place as I have the Great Coon/Hog Killer living in my yard! :lol:
for me, where they are is not near any gardens. they have the back treeline and fields etc. and in no way are "near my stuff!!" if they were, it would be different..HA HA

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I have a family of 4 living under my red horse barn. They have no holes in the pasture, therefore, they live. They are my wildlife pets and off limits to Tony---oh yes, he wanted to shoot.....but as long as there is no holes, they are OK to stay here.

BUT when I lived in PA....wow, groundhogs would just hole up entire pastures and of course, horse legs and holes don't mix....yup, fun day of hunting.
When I had my horse, I put those plastic step-in posts over the groundhog holes in my pasture, in a three-post teepee. She was an older mare, so this created safety for her. Our neighbor shoots them by the half-dozen, and cannot keep up. More move in when they hear that there is a home available. Suburban environments and attitudes create groundhog heaven.....GRRRRR!!!!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I went back over this even and checked that same den. Nothing, nadda, zip in the way of activity. :cool: Stopped in and chatted with Jerry on my way out, and he tells me there is another den in the next hay field over, but I have to wait till they get it cut and baled before I will be able to actually see where they are. More target practice!! :weee