Thrift store shopping

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anybody else go thrift store shopping? I love it! The stores in my area are so great too. There's always stuff in my size that I like. Name brands with the tags still on even, marked down to like $3! I feel like I've won a game show when I find deals like that.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Welcome to you, RTRChick! Lucky you! NO thrift store here at all.... :(

I hit them in my travels when I come across them and scored some faded jeans that put a smile on my teenager's face this year...at $1.50 a pair! I am finding that GoodWill down home where I grew up has the worst deals....too expensive! Imagine that?!

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Aw, we have a great chain here in alabama called America's Thrift Store. I don't like the Goodwills or Salvation Army around here, not many good deals and over priced. But the other places are good. Do you guys have yard sales or garage sales? My in-laws are always finding great stuff at the more affluent parts of town usually for good prices, maybe you could try something like that? But it might not be worth it because of the price of gas..

ETA: Thank you beekissed! I saw your post on BYC and decided to give this forum a look so you brought me over and welcomed me!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
RTRChick said:
Aw, we have a great chain here in alabama called America's Thrift Store. I don't like the Goodwills or Salvation Army around here, not many good deals and over priced. But the other places are good. Do you guys have yard sales or garage sales? My in-laws are always finding great stuff at the more affluent parts of town usually for good prices, maybe you could try something like that? But it might not be worth it because of the price of gas..

ETA: Thank you beekissed! I saw your post on BYC and decided to give this forum a look so you brought me over and welcomed me!
Aw shucks! :rolleyes: I think you will fit in perfectly over here with the frugal geeks and hippy freaks! :D :lol: Thanks for sliding on over! :bouquet

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, I love our thrift stores, I have gotten some of the neatest stuff.

A bread machine for $8 that I have just about used to death since I got it. I even dropped it once, so I have to wiggle the lid to get it to close all the way, but it still works perfectly, so I'm not going to retire it yet.

A waffle maker for $3 that makes bread-slice sized waffles. I make a bunch of them on Sunday and freeze them. they are perfect for popping in the toaster for my little guy before we head off to work/daycare on weekday mornings.

One of those toasted sandwich makers, also for $3. I got this because I thought my husband would like it. It's the kind that makes little triangle sandwiches. I was right. He loves it. He will toast ANYthing. LOL

A food dehydrator for $5 I have used to make jerky & dried fruit & dry beans.

LOVE the thrift store. I donate a lot of stuff to them, too.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Cassandra

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome to SS RTRChick
I love thrift stores, I cant remember the last time I bought new clothes. I even christmas shopped at one last year, lol.

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I love our Hospital Thrift Store here! This past month I found a Gap sweater set and a Cashmere sweater for $1 each! It's always hit and miss so I plan it into my town day once a week--never know what you will find. It took me a while to convince my folks that there are good ones out there--they were used to dirty, nasty ones--but now they will only buy certain (outside work) clothes from them. My rule for thrift shopping is to never buy anything in worse condition than I already own...;)

Vikki

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
We have an entire strip mall near us and it has a few thrift stores and some 'higher end' church run consignment shops. There are always fun things to buy! I had my eye on a kerosene lamp but was thinking $14 seemed a bit high. I think I may go back and get it though, for our 'no electric' nights!

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love the thrift store! They just raised the prices though. Coats went from 2.99 to 7.99 kids clothes went from .49 to 1.39. Still cheaper than new but it hurt. It's a Goodwill store. I donated a bunch of stuff the other day that we kept stumbling over. I need to go through kid clothes and pick out what won't fit next warm season and take those in and look for some more pants for the kids.