Thrift store shopping

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The Goodwill is the closest thrift store, about 20 miles away. They occasionally have good deals, mostly canning and household stuff, not clothing. They do have a 50% sale at the end of each month, so you can get shirts and jeans for a couple dollars.

However, the consignment shop in the nearest town (under 10 miles) is terrific. My dear hubby recently got a brand new pair of Levi jeans for $5. (The mall store tags were still on them, originally they were $65.) He also got an LL Bean long sleeve dress shirt for $4, which looks like new. My dh recently gifted me with a like new baseball style t-shirt from the consignment shop. It has Tweety Bird on it, and underneath the picture, it says, "Most Valuable Chick". (awwww, what a sweetie!) It was $4.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
there is a Salvation Army about 30 miles from me, and on Fridays everything is 1/2 price....I've only been a couple times, but they do have good stuff!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have 3 thrift stores here & I need to go thru kids clothes & see what all they need for cooler weather & then hit the stores. All though I wait until after our youth group rummage sale at church the first part of Nov. That way if there are things donated there I get them first as they will be a lot cheaper($1/bag). As I get the worker discount. I shop as I work getting the sale ready. Ds needs pants(jeans) I know for sure & a few long sleeve shirts. DD needs a sweater & coat for sure. I have been shopping ahead for her since she was born & have clothes boxed up to size 8/10, plus I have saved some of ds's jeans, sweats & shirts that will work for play clothes for her too, along with baseball pants in case she wants to play too. I found an entertainment amoir at Salvation Army this last summer for $35, it is made from all wood & was on sale & then another 60% off that!! So it was a great buy. It still had the doors on it too. We put it in our bedrm(dh insists he needs a tv in there to fall asleep to).:barnie

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohhh I'm looking for a tv armoire at a good price, I have been for months. They are always over priced here. I mean I could get a brand new one for cheaper.

I love hearing about people getting good deals at consignment shops and thrift stores. For some reason it just excites me. Like I just got some great Banana Republic pants with the tags still on for 1.99. Woot, I could dance lol.

He also got an LL Bean long sleeve dress shirt for $4, which looks like new. My dh recently gifted me with a like new baseball style t-shirt from the consignment shop. It has Tweety Bird on it, and underneath the picture, it says, "Most Valuable Chick". (awwww, what a sweetie!) It was $4.
That sounds like such a cute shirt, I love tweety bird.

And thank you for all the welcomes!:cool:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Not too many thrift stores locally here, but I do try to hit the clearance racks at Walmart at the end of each season.

We also have a local center called Women's Wellness Center, and I can go there and get 6 items a month for each of my youngest 4 kids free. Items are anything from clothes, to shoes, coats, or even a toy!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
We also have a local center called Women's Wellness Center, and I can go there and get 6 items a month for each of my youngest 4 kids free. Items are anything from clothes, to shoes, coats, or even a toy!
There is a shop called Spiderweb in the local large town where any resident of the county can get clothing items for free. There is no limit to what you can take. I recently heard of a woman who got a 5 day supply of career clothing. Her husband recently died and she cannot be a SAHM anymore.

Spiderweb also provide free tutoring for any person needing some assistance with learning.

edited for spelling.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The one thing that never ceases to amaze me is finding the tags still on clothing items in rummage sales & thrift stores. We sold a new(tags still on it) jacket at a rummage sale(church) for $1. the tag said it was a $95 jacket. Can you imagine? It was not my size :he Although I wish it was for that price.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We sold a new(tags still on it) jacket at a rummage sale(church) for $1. the tag said it was a $95 jacket. Can you imagine?
I know what you mean, Homesteadmom. When the pair of new Levi's my dh found for $5 at the local consignment shop, still had the mall store tag of $65 on it!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding why someone would pay that much & never wear it then donate it. I appreciate the donation but what a waste of money on their behalf!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We know the consignment shop owner and asked her about the pricing on that pair of Levi's that dh purchased.

She told us she got a car-load of brand new clothes from a local family. All the clothes still had the original store tags on them. All the clothes were donated to the family when they lost what they had in a house fire. The clothes they brought her did not fit anyone in their family. So the family decided to sell them through the consignment shop to make some money to purchase clothing items they needed.

The way this particular consignment shop operates, an item is brought to them and they determine the selling price. It is set up to be sold at their full price for 30 days, 50% off for 30 days and 75% off for 30 days.

If the item sells, the consignment shop gets 60% of the sale and the person placing the item gets 40% of the sale. The 40% the person gets can be given to them as a check or as credit at the shop. The Levi jeans dh purchased were at the 75% off price.

At the end of the 90 days, if the item is not sold, it is donated to local charities.

Latest posts