Thrifty Ways to Feed Rabbits

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am in the process of doubling my rabbit population :D Im gonna start another hutch here soon. So right now Im needing some thrifty ways to feed 8 rabbits.

I sprout in the winter, they apple branches all year, Im growing some grain this summer, and Im making lawn hay aslo.

Any other ideas?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I cut the grass with a reel mower, and dumped all the clippings to the rabbits when I had mine. Now the chickens get them ;) I saved a LOT of money on feed that way though, and it is good for the stock as long as you don't have contaminated clippings from chemicals.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
im panning meaty rabbits and have decided im going to dedicate a veggie patch JUST for the rabbits and chickens lol. anyhting that gets grown in that bed will be rabbit and chicken friendly...of course theyll get any extras form the main veggie beds too but i figure giving them their own garden will help.

plus of course grass and clover clippings.

also check out your local groceries, they often sell/give away their slightly bruised/spoiled produce (im planning on doing this mostly for my piggies that im planning lol)

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
Rabbit tractors. :)
I agree. Growing up in another country, the ONLY way we kept rabbits was in tractors. Moved it to a new plot of grass several times a day and for the males, that was all they got. The breeding females were supplemented with pellets. I was really surprised when I moved to the US to find that rabbits are often kept indoors or in tiny little off-the-ground cages where all of their food has to be supplied.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I cut the grass with a reel mower, and dumped all the clippings to the rabbits when I had mine. Now the chickens get them ;) I saved a LOT of money on feed that way though, and it is good for the stock as long as you don't have contaminated clippings from chemicals.
We have no chemicals on the yard. Will clover be good to? We have TONS of it....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
We have no chemicals on the yard. Will clover be good to? We have TONS of it....
Yes clover is a favorite! Plus it's pretty easy to rake up and toss to them once it's cut ;)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
Yes clover is a favorite! Plus it's pretty easy to rake up and toss to them once it's cut ;)
This will be a must!

Did you notice a cut in the feed bill?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
HEchicken, was there wire on the bottom to keep them from digging out?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I would do a tractor but I have terrible problems with coccidia, I KNOW I would lose a bunch then.

Latest posts