Ticks!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am so sick of picking ticks off everyone! I also don't want to use heavy duty chemicals, particularly on my daughter. Does anyone have a natural tick repellent that actually works?? And is safe for young children? Thanks!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Avon makes an organic one...can't remember what it's called but it's DEET free and that's all I can use.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've heard that mint works to repel ticks. Don't know if it actually works or not.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My tomcat came home the other day loaded with tiny deer ticks...he's white so they all show up great. I also have a tabby female but who would know if she has them, they are so tiny and black? I've searched her but can't spot any. Dabbed castor oil on all of his, then picked them off later.

I too have trouble finding all natural things they can use...mostly because I don't like to use the chemicals, but also because the chemicals are costly and largely ineffective anyway.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I suck it up, both chemically and financially, and buy Bravecto for the dogs. It keeps fleas and ticks off the dogs for 3 months.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My chickens are doing well in the areas they hang out but we have prime tick conditions. Lots of brush, part of my property is wetlands... Ughhh