Tightening My Belt -- My Personal Challenge for One Month in 2010

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
DrakeMaidenn, do you remember the wild foraging thread we had on here??

I'm going to try and find it...

I agree, nettles! Yummy! If you lick your fingers you can pick them bare handed and eat them straight up.

Good luck on your personal challenge!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Poke will be up soon, too, just learn how to cook it properly. There is a link somewhere, I think on that foraging thread. Dandelions, too.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Watch out DM, M_P is going to show up in a kilt at your front door! :gig
:lol: I believe it! Nice try M_P! ;)

Sadly, I cannot go without cheese. Both because I like it and because I need the calcium. :/

Thank you Blackbird, for your support and offering to find that thread for me. :)

I have heard of poke, but I don't know what it is. I guess I need to do some research. Thanks Free. Oh . . . I have wanted to try dandelion for some time and have not. I guess I should get busy. :)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Dandelion is good! Dandelion flower fritters are better! :drool
Wasn't there a recipe on here for those?

Thanks for the links BB! :D

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Buy a gallon of milk and turn it all into yogurt. Quick, cheap, easy and good for you. We also buy all of our chicken on sale at $.59 per pound. Those are the two cheapest ideas, right off the top of my head.....
I would die and go to heaven if I could find chicken for .59 cents a pound.... chicken breasts (granted they are the most expensive part) are $11.47/pound. The cheapest I've EVER seen a whole chicken is $1.99/pound.

I love dandelion...

I think it's a great goal to not buy groceries for a whole month.... I'd love to try it in the summer, although I have to say if forced to by circumstances I doubt I could do it on a moment's notice... a few weeks maybe.

Good luck!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thank you hwillm1977.

I wouldn't try it if I hadn't been stocking up on food for quite some time anyway, and if I didn't still have a glut of stored garden produce that needs to be eaten anyway. ;)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hmmm . . . that smarty-pants on TEG was talking about us "weirdo's" on SS. :/ :lol:

Have you tried the fritters, BBH?