Tightening My Belt -- My Personal Challenge for One Month in 2010

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Do you think they would be good with ranch dressing?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
That should keep me busy. :) Thanks, SKR8PN!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I think many of us are able to relate to your situation !!! it's funny how well we can do when we have to.

Something related, and once again I deftly make a post about myself...I know it's annoying...

Anyway, I started my Austerity Challenge Jan 1 of this year, and started blogging about it first at qjcp.blog.com, and now at the addy below.

Anyway, after paying bills, I am limiting myself to $12.50 a week for food, gas for the car, and anything else that comes along. That's about all I have left anyway, and sometimes less.

You would be surprised at how easy it has become. First, I finagled gas money from my daughter for picking up DGD from school every day. Then I decided to use up all the meals I have frozen over the last year, opening the occasional jar and making liberal use of dehydrated vegetables. . And because I am a "prepper", I have literally thousands of meals that can be made from what I have on hand. I even have home made MRE's.

So food isn't the challenge actually. Two things are getting to me: Boredom and the inability to do things for others. When I got the insurance settlement from the storm damage, I did take a realtively small amount to buy WalMart clothes in my new size, and a couple of things for the grandkids. It was VERY hard to resist the desire to spend that money. But I did pretty well and have repaired most of the damage as well. (They gave me $660 to repair the roof. I have kept it, but it's a drop in the bucket.)

Anyway, living on nearly nothing is actually a lot of fun. You find creative places inside you that actually make you feel pretty dang confident ! Good Luck !!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks Ldychef2K . . . I was hoping you might have something to add. I think I need to read your blog. :)

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This sounds like an excellent excuse to spend the day at the lake, fishing!

Also, cattail root is potato-like, if you have those around :D