1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Container Grown Potatoes?- Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Tilling With A Riding Mower

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by striver, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Jun 23, 2015
    striver

striver Sustainable Newbie

I have a fairly large garden. I tilled it with a standard tiller and it was bear. In the coming season I'd like to expand my growing area, so I'd be interested in finding a faster way to till. Currently I own a John Deere riding mower. Does anybody have an experience and/or advice about finding and using an attachment to till with a riding mower?

2. Jun 24, 2015
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

I've seen them, but have no idea how well they work. I'd be interested in knowing how well it works for you.

3. Oct 9, 2015
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

I have one, tills 36" wide, own engine. Does nice job BUT -- I have the agrifab brand and you have to get off & on mower to
    start/stop it, raise tines & go to wheels, etc. Kinda a Pain. Now if you are doing a large area and don't need to stop often, etc. then ok, it will till deep and well. I can stop mower & reach back & stop tilling, then get off, etc. They are about $12-1300. I got mine from a guy who had it for 2 yrs and never used, so decided to sell and took a real loss. I gave 600. Starts, first pull, etc. Remember you will need a fairly large area at each end to turn a mower and the pulled tiller... again, a lot of space.

Now, what I WANTED was the one made by DR and it was about $2400. But it had controls to raise/lower tines, stop till, all from seat of mower. I went for $$$. Not real sorry but, could have also added some seeding & compacting add ons for pastures, so --- personal use/ability decision for many. I knew I was eventually going to buy a tractor so felt the money was better used toward that. It has been.

With either unit, you have to have a very wide aisle in the garden to use for maintenance tilling. Most of us don't have that much area for between rows. A walk behind tiller will do better for that.

I find it great for original till, cleaning up done crops, etc. Just not during the season occasional row till with crops in place.