Tinnitus treatments

My Dad was in the marines and he was in stationed in Okinawa during the end of the war, but never saw action.
He is very stubborn and very "frugal". He hates to spend money on non-essential things - like hearing aids, a comfortable mattress, hip replacement surgery, ... you know, non-essential things.
He confessed that his old chair had a broken spring in the seat that poked him every time he sat down. That confession was after we bought him a lift chair for his 80th birthday.
They were asking if he was a veteran because if he receives VA services, he is eligible for free hearing aids! And they are the BEST hearing aids you can get! Their follow-up services are kind of sub-par, but still not bad for getting free hearing aids.

He was placed on the Amoxycillin and the cipro gtts. as a last ditch effort... "nothing else is working... so... let's try this." He may have had signs of infection at the time. I honestly don't remember. But, at the last "look see" after the course of Amoxycillin and cipro, there were no signs of infection.
Unfortunately for that specific situation, without seeing his ears myself, I'm afraid to comment further. I would still recommend the hydrocortisone though, in very small amounts, it will not hurt, and best case scenario will clear up the flakiness.

I'm a veteran and I can vouch for the hearing aid- they are wonderful! I did have a co-pay of $50 for them, but for a $6000 pair of hearing aids that was nothing. You also get free batteries and any other tools for maintenance of the aids. I lost one of them in my second year, and they gave me a whole new set (so now I have one available as an emergency spare). You can also get free glasses (fresh pair every year, with nice looking frames available). I've also gotten a CPAP with free supplies whenever I need them, a very good blood pressure monitor, and one of those paraffin moist heat thingies. All of these were free, or almost free.
So good to hear your feedback on your VA services! First question I ask my patients is whether or not they are part of, or qualify for, VA services. You have more than earned the help!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just got done with a telephone conversation with the ME. VA trouble shooter yesterday. He started his conversation : "So, I heard that you had quite a time at the Bangor VA yesterday." I said, "Oh, you HEARD about that! Yeah, I put on quite a show." I finished my conversation with him, stating that I had a letter sitting on my desk with lots of CC lines on it, and I'd reserved a line just for him. I said I'd sit on that letter for a few days, to allow them to get their act together. But, then, I'd be using lots of stamps to get those letters posted. In spite of my promised action, it was an amicable conversation. Nothing like EVERY single previous conversation I've had with the many folks in the VA who don't seem to give a rat's patoot whether they actually meet the needs of the people they are hired to serve.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm really sorry you had such horrible experiences with the VA. My only complaint has been that my primary doctor belonged to the "Pill of the Month Club", but over the last few years, she has come to understand that I prefer to try to address my health issues with nutrition and exercise rather than pills and surgery. She has always been willing to spend as much time as necessary to go over the results of my blood work, or any new symptom that crops up (she actually spent almost 2 hours with me on our first appointment!) We discuss the various possible avenues, and she has come to respect my knowledge, just as I respect hers. She was as thrilled as I was when I was finally able to get off of the statin drug, and she was the one that suggested that based on my A1C, I could reduce the amount of my diabetic meds.

You aren't the first horror stories I've heard about the VA, but for me- I've been quite satisfied. I don't know if it's a difference of location or what.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Haha, if you're like most of us on this site and largely cook at home, you probably eat less salt than the average American anyways. But you can simulate a better salt taste by adding lemon, lime or vinegar to your food and get away with using slightly less salt. The caffeine though, I'm with you. I couldn't give up my life blood! 😂
I'm glad you point this out about sodium. I struggle to get enough! Even generously salting my food I rarely can get enough. I have dysautonomia/cerebral hypoperfusion / probable low blood volume causing most of my tinnitus.

Sodium, caffeine, and prescription stimulant medication improve my tinnitus.

I also have MCAS contributing to tinnitus so the antihistamine regimen helps too.

I'm at the end of a minor cold and POTS flare, have been having tinnitus constantly for over a week. Trying to compensate with 3 quarts electrolyte drink and high sodium diet.

I share because my diagnoses are not unusal but are rarely identified. Others have read my stories, recognized the symptoms in themselves, and been tested/diagnosed.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Minimize stress....... check :)
Minimize caffeine...... OH NO! :(
Minimize sodium........OH NO! :(

Guess I’m just gonna hafta’ Deal with this...... I shake salt in my hand and eat it. It’s Real Salt, unrefined.

Everyone forgets you live in the hottest place on Earth, Texas. Heck if I lived there I would be a salt junkie too. I still remember working in the lumber yard and the boss passing out salt tablets during the hottest days of summer.