Tinnitus treatments

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dad, with pace maker, frequent dizziness, low blood pressure, was forced to wear a mask for 3 hours. They treated his dizziness during that time with 3 juice packs and a pack of crackers since I'd kept him NPO for blood work, all while his O2 sats were 88%, AND HIS FASTING BS WAS HIGH. Dr. refused to let him remove the mask, and told me that I couldn't have a meter and strips to test his blood sugar at home b/c he's only a type II diabetic. This is just the tip of the iceburg.
They tried that business with me for my diabetes. They told me I only needed to test twice a week since my diabetes was "under control." But I worked on my primary doctor and pointed out that if I test my blood sugar on Wednesday and Saturday, for instance, and the readings are acceptable, then I won't be aware that something I ate on Thursday caused my blood sugar to shoot through the roof. She agreed that people react differently to different foods-- I discovered by testing frequently that my body can tolerate small amounts of corn, whereas rice always causes high readings. Other people have found the opposite.
So anyway, she finally agreed to write a prescription for daily blood sugar checks. I've given this advice to other people and they've been able to get the same results. The VA is just counting on lots of people meekly accepting what they say-- they save a lot of money that way.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Haha, if you're like most of us on this site and largely cook at home, you probably eat less salt than the average American anyways. But you can simulate a better salt taste by adding lemon, lime or vinegar to your food and get away with using slightly less salt. The caffeine though, I'm with you. I couldn't give up my life blood! 😂
I'm glad you point this out about sodium. I struggle to get enough! Even generously salting my food I rarely can get enough. I have dysautonomia/cerebral hypoperfusion / probable low blood volume causing most of my tinnitus.

Sodium, caffeine, and prescription stimulant medication improve my tinnitus.

I also have MCAS contributing to tinnitus so the antihistamine regimen helps too.

I'm at the end of a minor cold and POTS flare, have been having tinnitus constantly for over a week. Trying to compensate with 3 quarts electrolyte drink and high sodium diet.

I share because my diagnoses are not unusal but are rarely identified. Others have read my stories, recognized the symptoms in themselves, and been tested/diagnosed.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@wyoDreamer I wrote about increasing sodium, but I dont think that applies to you. You note that your tinnitus is improved with low sodium diet and high water consumption - which "washes out" electrolytes and can reduce blood sodium levels if one drinks very much water. Funny that the same symptom in 2 people is improved by exactly opposite interventions! I love seeing the diversity in people, its fascinating!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Minimize stress....... check :)
Minimize caffeine...... OH NO! :(
Minimize sodium........OH NO! :(

Guess I’m just gonna hafta’ Deal with this...... I shake salt in my hand and eat it. It’s Real Salt, unrefined.

Everyone forgets you live in the hottest place on Earth, Texas. Heck if I lived there I would be a salt junkie too. I still remember working in the lumber yard and the boss passing out salt tablets during the hottest days of summer.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
if you start getting cramps, that's often a sign you are low in sodium and/or potassium
I never do get cramps. My husband does. Durned if I know why, he puts salt on salt, drinks pickle juice when he gets cramps, takes his vitamins.