Tiny Houses

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Woopsies! I thought this thread was about "tiny horses". :lol:
Well, BBH, I think if you had a tiny house, wouldn't you have a tiny barn and then you would *need* tiny horses as well. ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
keljonma said:
big brown horse said:
Woopsies! I thought this thread was about "tiny horses". :lol:
Well, BBH, I think if you had a tiny house, wouldn't you have a tiny barn and then you would *need* tiny horses as well. ;)
:gig

I could so live in a tiny house! They had one at (inside!)Costco this weekend.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I lived in a 28x8 RV with hubs, three kids, and two BIG dogs for months on end one year, and we homeschooled in there too. I actually enjoyed it. It forced the kids outside ;) We got along well in there. I could do a tiny house in exchange for more land and less house payment EASILY! Heck I could live in smaller. I'm a lousy housekeeper and a great landscaper/farmer :lol:

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This has always been a thing for me,..I never could understand why people need so much space . For "stuff" I assume,....my DH and I built our own home and it is about 800 sq. ft. give or take. Its nice and its cozy, and it holds all we need and our two children and their stuff. We have always lived in small spaces, even as children we both were raised in small homes. I drive by these huge homes and wonder why on earth do they need that much space???? Isn't that what the great outdoors are for?? I know,..different strokes for different folks,...The cost of a smaller home is so much more manageable, the heating is more efficent and less costly,..and you spend so much more less time cleaning and "collecting" junk. IMO I think it also makes for a closer family unit,..you learn to get along because you have to,..there is nowhere to hide! :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your responses. Some good points were made.

Wannabefree I think you get my point best.

I did live in a camping Trailer while we built this house. It was 8 x 33 which is what 264 sq feet. I had one child at the time. Other than the kitchen and sink being a bit small we survived. My current rv is 8 x 38. The back 14 ft is a garage. We use it for storage and a "dining area" after we unload the off road vehicles. It has a slide. So while camping we have plenty of space. Everyone has their own beds, the kitchen is plenty big and I can clean it in about 30 min. Top to bottom.

Things were different when we built this house. I was naive, young and an optimist. The rooms are all generously sized. When we built we thought this was going to be our forever house. yeah right. Who knew. So many things have changed, our perspectives on life, our needs, our wants, the world around us.

I think the cost of living in Ca has a lot to do with it as well. Taxes suck.

Bubbling Brooks, I think your right. I do have a lot of stuff. I have a china service for 16 with all the bells and whistles. Not that I spent a lot of money on it. I found in on CL of course. But I bought it when I thought would need fancy dishes for family gatherings and friends coming over. Not the case at all. I have a lot of books, a piano no one can play and a few other things I could really do without.

Maybe I will work on that. So if one day we do decide to downsize it will be easier. Maybe it's time for a yard sale.

thanks for listening.

:D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have a piano no one can play too!! :lol:

Service for 16...folks don't even visit like they used to. Those ideals were designed for the time period when neighbors were really neighbors and families were larger. It's sad to see them now to me, because there really is no longer a viable use for such collections more than once per year, and even that often is a stretch of the imagination for most folks :( *sigh* I'd rather have a need for the china than the china. I love having company over, and feeding them even, but it just doesn't happen often enough to warrant such a thing.

I aint gettin shed of me books!!! :old :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL slow down Gina

you got that "I hate the stuff I have to take care of and pay for" attitude right now

I hear you big time. One thing also is "IF YOU had adequate time to take care of what you have and feel less stressed" then you won't be in such an aggrevated state.

I know, been there just recently LOL

downsize YOUR life schedule...seriously

I decluttered the house to where it is very minimal and perfect for the fastest cleaning on the planet...lol

downsize the farm work anyway you can (me, heck I shut down the main income farm)

say NO to new projects UNTIL you actually complete the existing project

My home is 2100 sq st. I have 30 acres of nice land for a home and we thought of building and I was thinking (heck I only want 1500 to clean) lol......but once my 2100 was minimalist in nature, it is as easy to clean if not faster than a 1500 sq ft home LOL

do a time report on yourself

one week.....when you wake up write down what the heck you do in those awake hours. yup track yourself....real fast you will find what is "taking up most of your time" and then you can find ways to wittle down and have more free time etc.

then you feel less stressed....and it saves you money to have free time, cause in that free time you can find ways to save money.....I have...with being a more smart shopper...CAUSE I have time to save. It takes TIME to run a good easy life. Find that time gal! :)

you know I am in your cornewr SHOUTING GO GIRL GO!

:lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I knew I could count on yo Karen.

How do I spend my time????

Downsize my life schedule. Ha I have no schedule. Maybe That's what I am lacking. :idunno

I'm here on the forum way to much. I love to read info on the net. I love to watch you tube to learn new things. I glean information from all of you.

If I gave that up I would be bored, lonely and would probably have a really clean house. :lol:

I have 3500 sq ft of house, 1200 sq ft of porch and a 1500 sq foot garage. Its all pretty full and well used.

The china is packed. My dining room is a sewing/ homework room.
The "formal sitting room" is where my desk, piano and boxes of packed books live.

The kids each have their own rooms.

3 bathrooms and the family room, laundry mud room.

And a flippin huge kitchen.

:th

Have You ever heard that saying "be careful what you wish for"? I wished for this. But there is no reason why my wish can not evolve and change. Right???

I know TMI

g