TIP fer dog owners about fleas and ticks.

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Instead of spending the high prices on flea products, ie; flea collars, Advantage ,Frontline etc.
Dust yer dogs, cats, chickens or any other critters ya might have that can have fleas, mites,lice, ticks with Sevin dust. It is perfectly safe on all yer animals,(read the label fer yerself and see),and costs a fraction of all the so called "professional" remedies. You can also broadcast some over yer yard and no more biting bugs.
One small bag costs very little and will last you an entire season.
Oh yeah, jist a sprinkle in yer chicken's dust bowls will eliminate any and all lice and mites.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Uh. I guess one person's "safe" is another person's "eeep", but carbaryl (the active ingredient in Sevin dust) is REALLY not as safe as all that :/

Here is a link to the official MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Sevin:

http://www.greenbook.net/docs/MSDS/M4772.PDF

I quote in part: "Harmful if absorbed through skin [...] Harmful if ingested. THis product causes reversible cholinesterase inhibition. REpeated exposure may cause more severe cholinesterase inhibition with more pronounced signs and symptoms. May lead to [long list of stuff]. Harmful if inhaled. May produce symptoms similar to those of ingestion. [...] Inhalation of product may aggravate existing [skin or respiratory problems [...] Skin: in case of contact, wash with plenty of soap and water for 5 minutes. [...] Carbaryl has been shown to produce tumors in laboratory animals in lifetime feeding studies."

There are certainly things MORE toxic than Sevin out there, and it is not gonna kill anyone dead straight off.

However, I sure as heck would never be dusting it on my pets (and I would have to have a pretty seriously out-of-control problem to use it on my chickens, either, frankly). Note that there is a big difference also, too, having it present in the environment (e.g. used int he garden) (not that I do that either) versus actually putting it directly on an animal's body; and a big difference between once vs repeatedly.

It's a personal choice, I just want to put this info out there so people can make an INFORMED personal choice.

(e.t.a. - if you dust it all over the yard, you will lose BENEFICIAL insects as well, e.g. honeybees and ladybugs...)

Pat

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Don't forget about food grade DE. We use it on our outside dogs and their bedding.

Our inside dogs are confined to their own yard, so we don't have a problem much with fleas or ticks.

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
punkin said:
Don't forget about food grade DE. We use it on our outside dogs and their bedding.

Our inside dogs are confined to their own yard, so we don't have a problem much with fleas or ticks.
Someone dropped a small kitten off at our place a couple of weeks ago. She's crawling with fleas, but she's too young (I'd guess she's maybe 6-7 weeks now) for anything I could find at the store. Been bathing and flea combing her, but I never get them all. I have food grade DE that I keep on hand for the chickens, do you think I could use it on her? I would imagine it had to be kept away from the face?

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I won't do it. Had a friend dust a beagle with seven dust and the dog died. So you won't catch me using it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my mother in law does the dust the dog with Sevin....no way I am doing it. I put very little on some of my personal produce if needed when regular control can't handle it, but use sparingly.

I just get Advantage or whatever for the dogs.

ALSO---for anyone with fleas on animals. Just submerge the pet. Fleas Drown. Simple as that. You do not have to buy tons of toxic things etc. etc.

When my dog was loaded with fleas I got a huge water trough from the barn, filled it with water and made him lie in there for at least 5 mins. I did have to deal with his head but I got them all...LOL

So simple solution, fleas drown so submerge the pet entirely...sometimes you have a fight on your hands but well worth it. Cat owners can use a light towel on the pet to contain it, then put the critter up to its neck submerged......be sure to keep in long enough for fleas to drown. Toxic free.

After killing the fleas I moved the dogs to a new spot for a while to clean out the dog lot area and stall they sleep in....that is the harder thing to do, cleanup the living area....ugh....always a battle with "nasty" bugs out there

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
my mother in law does the dust the dog with Sevin....no way I am doing it. I put very little on some of my personal produce if needed when regular control can't handle it, but use sparingly.

I just get Advantage or whatever for the dogs.

ALSO---for anyone with fleas on animals. Just submerge the pet. Fleas Drown. Simple as that. You do not have to buy tons of toxic things etc. etc.

When my dog was loaded with fleas I got a huge water trough from the barn, filled it with water and made him lie in there for at least 5 mins. I did have to deal with his head but I got them all...LOL

So simple solution, fleas drown so submerge the pet entirely...sometimes you have a fight on your hands but well worth it. Cat owners can use a light towel on the pet to contain it, then put the critter up to its neck submerged......be sure to keep in long enough for fleas to drown. Toxic free.

After killing the fleas I moved the dogs to a new spot for a while to clean out the dog lot area and stall they sleep in....that is the harder thing to do, cleanup the living area....ugh....always a battle with "nasty" bugs out there
Sorry, but I tend to disagree with this theory. i hav had many dogs, who have had fleas, and loved to swim in our pool. this never got rid of their fleas.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
probably cause the dogs went back to the area where the fleas were.

fleas drown.....anything can't survive under water....after I did this the fleas were all dead on the dog.....if I had put the dogs back in the flea area, then yes, they would be back.

I put them in a new location for a long time and they were flea free. Worked for me big time.

Swimming dogs unless submerged for a long enough time might not kill them all. Hair traps air. So the dog must truly just lay in the water and let the drowning of the fleas happen. Like I said, perfect for my dogs.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
farm_mom said:
punkin said:

Someone dropped a small kitten off at our place a couple of weeks ago. She's crawling with fleas, but she's too young (I'd guess she's maybe 6-7 weeks now) for anything I could find at the store. Been bathing and flea combing her, but I never get them all. I have food grade DE that I keep on hand for the chickens, do you think I could use it on her? I would imagine it had to be kept away from the face?
I really don't see why you couldn't. It is safe for birds and mammals. Although I would try to keep it out of her face.