TIP fer dog owners about fleas and ticks.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
OP, thanks for the product, althoguh I am not to sure I will use it with out doing soem further research.

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I aint meanin to make any arguments on this subject but i've been usin Sevin on my critters fer 30+ years now with no problems.
There have been some other good ideas on the subject posted in this thread.
Allthough i've known of and used DE in my pool for many years i have just learned about the food grade stuff from the BYC and if i ever get a flea problem here i'll give it a try now before usin the Sevin.
I'm all for keepin it as organic as possible but sometimes the insect world has other ideas and well, we jist gotta do what we gotta do before infestations occur.
Jist this summer i eneded up with a TERRIBLE lice infestation from an old bag o' layer pellets that someone had given me.They were so bad that jist reachin into the nest box fer the eggs resulted in an instant infestation on my up to my elbow.I first tried the DE to no avail.Had no choice but to dust with Sevin.Lice instantly gone and no adverse effects to my birds.
Like i said..30+ years of Sevin use and never a problem.

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
coopy said:
I won't do it. Had a friend dust a beagle with seven dust and the dog died. So you won't catch me using it.
I'm very skepticle in believeing that Sevin was soley responsible there.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use regular bathing with Dawn and Lime or lavender EO, flea collars. Seems to do the trick. The whole drowning the flea thing may work, but I doubt it kills the eggs, so within 2 wks you may have just as many fleas that you had before. I've used it for animals that are crawling, or severely infested, that I have rescued. It does take care of the majority of the fleas, but not all.

I've tried using cloth collars soaked in a mixture of essential oils that repel ticks and fleas, but the dogs literally HATED these and would do anything to get them off, or cover the scent, by saturating them with dead animal juice! :p Nothing like washing an 80 lb white dog until she sparkles, just to have her roll in a dead skunk to "smell better"! :D

The old fashioned flea and tick collars work fine here, but we may not have the problem as bad as others. I always make sure bedding has cedar chips included and this seems to discourage fleas.

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hey Bee, you probably allready know this. Long term use of cedar in bedding can cause resperatory problems. The only thing i ever use it for is my rats and only because they're lives are pretty short. They are snake food.
The "aroma" that cedar gives off is toxic. ( it's in the natural oil in the wood ) That is why it works well for clothes storage because it is toxic to insects.
I believe i read somewhere in the BYC that someone stated that it is also toxic to birds.
I haven't done the reserch myself to prove or disprove this.

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Evermore Ranch said:
rats housed on cedar are toxic to snakes. it may take a while but some snakes wont even eat one that smells of cedar.

B
never had a problem in 30+ years o' husbandry B
Allthough yer comment got me to doin a bit o' research. I found this and thot i was learning something until this line......"56% of the rat pups kept on cedar were dead within 2 weeks". That is such horsefeathers !!!!
I have kept pet rats on cedar from birth till natural death at 4+ years of age. NEVER, i repeat NEVER did i lose one !!! And i have kept hundreds of them.
As for your statement. Well, i never lost a snake prematurely. ('cept fer escapes of course)and man are elapha good at that lol

oh yeah, the link......

http://exoticpets.about.com/gi/dyna...s=0&zu=http://www.ratfanclub.org/litters.html

Until my jury returns tho. I will switch my coop medium from pine to straw even tho my birds only sleep in thier coops.
As for my snakes. No need to fix somethin that hasn't broke in over 30 years.
My mind is allways open to learn new and better tho.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I will keep that in mind, J&J!

I'm sort of with Evermore on this one, though. Never had a problem with resp. difficulties from using cedar, so I would say its still safe for me to use. If one should pop up, I'll know what might be the culprit. Lots of safety conscious folks out there when it comes to this and that, but I'm not usually one of them. If I try something and it works, well, I just keep using it. If it causes some problem or other, I'll stop using it. Sort of a complicated technical system I've developed over the years, ya know! :D ;) :lol:

Evermore Ranch

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
we had a snake come into our rescue that was really bad off and the vets determined it was the cedar that the mice were kept on. i can't remember how they exactly determined that was the cause (as thiss was many years ago), but we ended up having to force feed for a long time. He did make it and is healthy now, but it was a tough road. it may be one of those things that some are more suseptible, i just thought i would add our experience with why we chose to not use cedar for our feeder rodents. i have seen them refuse rats that smell of cedar . . . i had one boa that would not get near them.

B

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just read this post and I have something for everyone. Most of our animals have been indoor/outdoor. So when I see them scratching I would put them in a tub of water and starting anywhere you want, rub salt (yes regular table salt) into the fur thoroughly. As you work your way to each end of the animal you will see the fleas jumping ship. I do not know why this works. Of course after you rinse them down the drain, you can re-wash you animal with something that you normally use.