Tips for ripping 1" off a long board with a circular saw

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Alright.
I'm a girl, and I don't have super skills with power tools. But since my other half is not feeling well and I am getting impatient to get this board put up so we can have the extra shelf space, I want to do it myself. The weather is supposed to be nice this afternoon, so I should be able to get it done pretty easily.
Here is most of the reason why I am asking: We don't have a workshop or anything like that, so I'm just going to be working outside on the back deck. We have a couple of steps that I can lay the board lengthwise on, but I don't know the best way to make sure that I do this right the first time and keep the saw straight and not mess up the board.
Got any suggestions???

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I always use a chalk line for long cuts like that. Just measure it off and pop a line as a guide for the saw blade. The circular saw is pretty easy to handle, it should really be no problem.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Got no chalk line....

Something else we could probably buy.

See what I mean, I need BASIC basic! LOL

Just call this remedial saw class 101 :p

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well then use a pencil and a ruler to measure the board off and draw a line as a guide. It'll take a bit longer, but it still works. Measure the width of the board that you need rather than the one inch off so it will be more accurate a measurement. A lot of boards aren't exactly straight or even, some are warped and it's difficult to tell on a long board so measure what you need rather than what you're cutting off. Just mark off along the length of it every 8 inches or so, and use your ruler to draw the line straight. Then cut off the excess. Don't worry, Jesus probably didn't have a chalk line either ;)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Easiest is to clamp another board to your board to act as a "fence" for the saw to run along.

Comme a:
cut-straight-1-0908-mdn.jpg

Unless your board isn't wide enough for that :(

hqueen13

Reaction score
Thanks WBF and Moolie! I dunno, WBF, he might have had something like a chalk line.... that is a pretty basic tool!

I like that idea, Moolie, though I don't know if I have anything I can clamp it to... I'll have to go digging when I get home! I probably do, the question is WHERE?!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Thanks WBF and Moolie! I dunno, WBF, he might have had something like a chalk line.... that is a pretty basic tool!

I like that idea, Moolie, though I don't know if I have anything I can clamp it to... I'll have to go digging when I get home! I probably do, the question is WHERE?!
If you don't have a chalk line, but can find a sraight board (or long metal straight edge, or 4-ft long level) to use, then use the that as a straight edge to mark out cutting line with a pencil. I've even used a ballpoint pen when I've temporarily misplaced my pencil.

Wear goggles or safety glasses when you cut... you don't want to get sawdust in your eyes during the cutting process.

Make sure your circular blade will not ontact (underneath) anything you don't want it to cut through. Remember that this means your power cord, too! ;) Always keep your fingers clear of the blade path. You must have the front of the bottom plate of the saw onto the surface of the board, and you'll want to start your blade spinning just back of contact with the board you're cutting, not in contact with it. Once you've pulled the trigger and the blade is spinning, then move it into contact and start cutting. In other words, the blade should start its spin freely, not with friction from the board.

Always best if you can complete the cut in one swoop from beginning to end. If you do have to stop pushing the saw forward - having sopped during the length of the cut - be careful, because the saw can jump a little. Always keep a firm grip on the saw, pushing down a little to keep the bottom plate of the saw in contact with the surface of the board.

Once your cut is made, ease back on the trigger. Make sure the blade guard has swung into place before you put the saw down on the ground or any other surface.

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I cut off part of the step once, when I was using the steps on the back porch as my sawhorse. Make sure you have some clearance there, when you go to cut.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yay, Joel, I was hoping you would jump in!

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'll lay the board on the edge of the steps. Hopefully I can find something straight longer than the 5' length of the board that I can clamp on to use as a guide because I think I'll be MUCH happier with the cut if I have that. If not, I have a reasonably steady hand, but I know it won't be perfectly straight. I guess I"ll have to step on the board to hold it down, or put rocks on it or something so that it stays steady on the step.

Yay, I am excited to do this... now lets hope I have the energy to do it when I get home! Gotta do laundry and some other pressing things, too. I love organizational projects!!!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Hopefully I can find something straight longer than the 5' length of the board that I can clamp on to use as a guide because I think I'll be MUCH happier with the cut if I have that. If not, I have a reasonably steady hand, but I know it won't be perfectly straight. I guess I"ll have to step on the board to hold it down, or put rocks on it or something so that it stays steady on the step.
Sometimes you can figure a way to use clamps to hold a guide board in place, but often the clamps themselves can get in your way. And maybe you don't have clamps.

So here's another technique - one that I've used from time to time. Nail the guide board in place using fairly small, slim nails. You want it down snug and you want the nails down flush so the bottom plate of the saw won't catch on them. But after cutting you want to be able to get a "wonder bar" or some other pry tool in there to remove the board after the cut.