Tips for ripping 1" off a long board with a circular saw

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Ohh, more good ideas!!
Heh, Theo, that is something that I will have to watch out for! :p
I just hope that I can get everything done this afternoon that I want to get done!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's a good Youtube vid on the general subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlXl99iZkfM

The video reminded me that I completely forgot to ask you, hqueen, if you have a rip-cutting fence for your saw. You didn't indicate that you did, but if you do it might be very helpful for making the 1" cuts you want to make.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Now you are going to have to tell me what a "rip-cutting fence" is, Joel! LOL
I would suspect not, but I wouldn't know a rip-cutting fence from a three board fence ;)
Real tool noob here! (But I'm learning, and having fun, even if I can't always use the tools as well as a bigger guy/person!)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Now you are going to have to tell me what a "rip-cutting fence" is, Joel! LOL
I would suspect not, but I wouldn't know a rip-cutting fence from a three board fence ;)
Real tool noob here! (But I'm learning, and having fun, even if I can't always use the tools as well as a bigger guy/person!)
It's shown on that video... did you watch that? Rip fence, rip guide.

Anyhow, its a lightweight metal contrivance, sort of T-shaped... fits into the bottom plate of the saw and cinches into position. You don't keep it on th saw because it gets in the way for crosscutting. Once you own a saw and have been using the saw, it's easy to have lost the rip guide... because it's small. :/

hqueen13

Reaction score
Hmm... now I am going to have to go look! I would love to have one, it sure would make it easier...

Didn't get to do it today cause he ended up home early and we had to run some errands. Maybe tomorrow if it isn't raining, or Friday, probably Friday.

Give me more time to figure it out!