To close to home.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
For some reason, I'm thinking of the MOVE bombing in Philly in the 80s. I forget how many homes burned.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
I agree with one of the participants. Just think of what is going to be released into the air. If you have a Santa Ana wind, then it will blow out to sea, but then later, it'll blow back over several states. Sheesh...
I can't believe that some of you are concerned about that. I think the article says that there is only 12 pounds of explosives suspected in there. Do you realize that the 4th of July fireworks explodes hundreds (thousands in big displays) of pounds of stuff in every city and town in the US? The shooting ranges explode thousands of pounds of explosives across the US every day of the year.

12 pounds is akin to spiting in the ocean.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Boogity, I think there has to be more to it than the 12lbs. If that was the case then why can't they have someone go in there and get it?

People handle fire works all the time. Right? They way they say this makes it sound a bit more serious.

"The discovery of homemade HTMD, PETN and ETN, all highly explosive organic compounds, is the largest of its type found on U.S. soil, authorities have said. Investigators estimated the total amount of explosives, in and out of the house, at between nine and 12 pounds"

I think they are worried about more than they are telling us.

Scary either way.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's really not that close BB. I just fell bad for the people who do live near there. After watching the video clips it seems the man was a bit of a pack rat. This is why they are opting not to search the house. The wife offered to go in and help but they said no.

Whatever, just get it over with.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
so when are they gonna burn it? i gotta say - i kinda want to see the video of that.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's supposed to go tomorrow. Pending weather. I am sure it will be all over our local news. Since I don't have TV I will have to find it on line. I'll post if they have video.

g

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Wildsky said:
They're gonna burn to get rid of explosives? :he
Most explosive materials burn without exploding. Gunpowder is an excellent example. Unless it is confined, all you get is fire. ignite it in a confined space and BOOM. Others require another explosion to set them off. I'm pretty sure that without a blasting cap, dynamite will burn without exploding, but I don't believe that I actually want to be around a test of that. :D
when dynamite starts dripping nitroglycerine (sweating) just dropping it can set it off... One of the most scary explosives I've seen.......

But I honestly didn't realize making stuff like that was illegal.. I know that sounds dumb, but I can't count how many ponds were "dug" with fertilizer and fuel oil. :hide

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gee I lived in Escondido once upon a time.....