Today's eclipse...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
NE Ohio at the height of Today's event. We didn't have the fancy gear so we improvised
20170821_143311.jpg

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I believe the scientific estimate of coverage here was 85%. It was interesting to watch. I have an arc-welding mask. We also made a pin-hole viewing device. Both worked well. Didn't record any image, though.

One thing that was interesting was the sharp shadows of objects around our place that were cast in the dim sun llght, unlike very vague shadows or none at all when there are clouds or fog in front of the sun.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
It was mostly sunny here, at the 75% height, it was clear blue sky with dimming light. We are in the 2024 totality path here

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So cool! Poor kiddo!

We had 61% and my DD couldn't care less. I had both of DH's welding helmets set out to go see whatever we could see but she didn't care. Hey 2024 I will have totality in northern New England. Woot! Lol

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were at 95 percent. It felt like it was a couple hours earlier with the slightly dimmer light and the coolness. It was dead calm. All the dappled shadows showed up as crecents. Was like fishscales on everything

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we were at about 95% here (south of the totality). We sat on the steps of the YMCA with the Tai Chi class (playing hooky!) and swapped a couple of glasses around. There was a sparrow in the bushes next to us that fell asleep when it got dimmer, and a mouse was going crazy- kept running out into the middle of us and then running back to the bushes- and once it climbed up the bush and went up to the sleeping sparrow. Watching the animals was more fun than watching the eclipse!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
LOL. I guess I have boring animals. But why am I not surprised? My hens won't go to bed until it is pitch black any day. They are all out wandering around in the yard after I want to go to bed. They also stand out in the pouring rain digging worms. Why on earth would something so trivial as a total eclipse make them a bit of difference, after all the neighbor's dusk to dawn light kicked on and they can still see just fine. Silly hens.