Toenail fungus

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've heard Vick's VapoRub on the nail daily works. Don't know how long it takes, probably a good several months. At least your feet will smell minty :/

tmike

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Tea tree essential oil is anti fungal and is the best thing I have found for athlete's foot and toenail fungus. 2 or 3 drops rubbed on and around the nail daily is what I use. After the fungus is gone, moisturize the toe with extra virgin olive oil and a drop or 2 of lavender essential oil, since tea tree oil is very drying (which is exactly what a fungus needs). For me, tea trea oil applied to the toenails once a week is a great way to prevent future fungal problems.

krzybo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. We are trying Tea Tree Oil and it seems to be drying it out. Just need suggestions in getting him to apply it daily :D

bjmstahl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My husband has suffered with toenail fungus for years. About 6 months ago I read about Vicks and tea tree oil on the website "Earthclinic". He used Vicks for about 2 months and since has noticed a definite improvement. His nails do not pain him and the nail is growing out clear. He is one happy camper. :ya

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
xpc said:
ORChick said:
In the interest of full disclosure I will add that I used blue polish.
Blue is a sexy color, all my socks and briefs are blue, my wife beaters are blue, all my towels have been custom tinted blue too. Perhaps its because I don't separate my jeans from my whites. but I like blue - my car is blue ...
LOL

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I will vouch for the tea tree oil too. I applied it once or twice a day, a few drops on a cotton swab so I could get it worked into the nail edges. I saw improvement within a couple weeks, but that will depend on a few factors so ymmv.

I wish I'd thought of the oilive oil and lavender oil after. I did use a moisturizing gel.

I found a difference in effectiveness among the oils I tried. Thursday Plantation, which is made by Nature's Plus, was better than Aura Cacia and Kal brands. I've compared them several times and always get those results, so I stick with Thursday Plantation in Tea Tree oil.

I used to get it often from wearing sandals in the poultry yard and I guess I'm just generally susceptible to it.

Good luck whatever you try. I might have to try the beer/vinegar/acidophilus one myself, especially if I can get the cost way down from $200. The oil only costs around $15 for a larger bottle and lasts. But since I do get recurrences, I'd like to try something else. It does always work for me though (the tea tree) and sometimes stays clear for a year or two between occurrences.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
chipmunk said:
I've heard Vick's VapoRub on the nail daily works. Don't know how long it takes, probably a good several months. At least your feet will smell minty :/
It does work, but I didn't believe it. Worked at a nursing home and I got a call from a docs office. When I was told to scrape the front of each nail with an nail file and apply vicks vapor rub every night and put a pair of latex gloves, I thought it was a crank call. I even gave an additude about it, but the patient was an old nurse and told me it would work and within a few weeks I did see a difference. But it took about 3 months to completely get rid of it. Note the scraping was a one time only thing.

Cedricemahinmi@yahoo.com

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Beer as toenail fungus remedy? That's something I haven't heard before...I'd have to say I prefer to drink my Guinness rather than use it as treatment :p Luckily, I've never toenail fungus, bu my sister swears by Fungusil. Have you guys heard of that? Even my friend told me it's pretty darn effective.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There's probably dozens of different types of toenail fungus. My mother said that she's having good luck with the Vicks, but my thick nails just got weirdy white and started coming off in chunks when I tried to clip them (ouch). After a few months I couldn't see any improvement. I'm also not convinced that keeping them greased up with Vicks (or even lotion) is the way to go. If the fungus started because of a moist environment, why keep a moist environment there? But Vicks seems to have worked for some people.

I did the Lamisil twice, about a year apart, NO results whatsoever. :( That sucked. After reading a lot about home remedies, I decided to try rubbing alcohol once a day. The first couple of times, I could feel a strong tingle around the nail, but nothing since.

It's not a quick cure (nothing is) since the rubbing alcohol can't get to the nail bed where the fungus lives, but I do have four nails that look normal now after a couple months. I'll know for sure if it works on my big toes and pinkies! I thought I'd try it for 12-18 months.

I read that the latest treatment is laser therapy, kind of like being in the sun. I can't pad around in flip flops outside here, but I wish I had a miniature tanning bed for my toes. :D

I think for some people, a low carb/sugar diet might be helpful, too. JMO

And the couple posts above mine read like an ad.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dad had fungus on his tonails and the nails on one hand for probably 20 years. They never caused any pain. He did have a nail come off in chunky flakes occasionally. I couldn't get him to try any natural remedy. He just wanted "a pill to take" but other health problems made him a poor candidate for ingesting a fungicide for months. :/