Toenail fungus

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Michigan Homesteader said:
Michigan State University did a study on toenail fungus and found that applying Vicks Vapor Rub to the toenail everyday got rid of the fungus. It does take several months though.
But did it work on different types of fungus, I wonder. I'll have to go take a look.
My mom's toenail fungus leaves her nails peeling and very, very thin. She was using Vicks and thought 'maybe it helped a little'. I'll have to ask her again.
You could use my toenail clippings for structural supports. Agh. I used Vicks for a couple of months. I thought maybe the last thing I needed to be doing was sealing in moisture.
What about the laser treatments - the latest/greatest/ most expensive way to go? Could we just hang out in the sun or put our toes under a grow light? :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't know, but the ad at the bottom of the page right now is for toenail fungus cures! :lol:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL
Ya, mine, too. Egads, if my toe nails looked like the ones in the pic, I'd have to have them removed so I couldn't see 'em. eeeeeeeeekkkkkkk

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Peeling and thin nails can also be a side effect of anemia. Not saying your MIL's isn't a fungus--I just know from first hand ;) experience that anemia caused my fingernails to split and peel and were very thin, when I'd always had strong nails prior. Addressed the cause/treated the anemia and my nails are back to my strong normal.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
txcanoegirl said:
Peeling and thin nails can also be a side effect of anemia. Not saying your MIL's isn't a fungus--I just know from first hand ;) experience that anemia caused my fingernails to split and peel and were very thin, when I'd always had strong nails prior. Addressed the cause/treated the anemia and my nails are back to my strong normal.
And you are absolutely correct! She has absolutely no appetite, just has a little yogurt or drinks an ensure. She was in the hospital briefly, blood tests showed she was anemic. My mother is 89. We can't convince her that she needs to eat a little better and a little more often!

Anyway, I didn't know that peeling nails were a side effect. Makes perfect sense when you think about it. Thanks, txcanoegirl!