Tomato Reproduction

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tomato suckers are not the same as tree suckers. Tree suckers come up from the roots and for grafted trees they could be root stock and yield something completeky different from the main plant. most fruit trees have shoots or spears that come off a trunk or branch bit their purpose is not to bear fruit. it is to collect sunlight to feed the rest of the plants
Tomatoes come in two forms Determinate and indeterminate. The indeterminate never really quit growing[or trying to fruit] until frost killed. These are the big vine kind that need staking or cages to support the big plants.the suckers tend to root better than the branch cuttings will in fact if the vine is not supported up off the ground they will often self root and continue to pump goodies into the plant
Determinate plants ofter grow to about 4 feet and quit growing and the goodies are sent to develope fruit. Usually there is a big burst of fruit at once [great for canners but not for the person that wants and needs a few fruit over an extended period] suckers taken after growth has slowed usually are Unproductive.
For whoever conplained about fruit not setting in the heat they are right. I can usually beat this by growing under shadecloth [Remey works too} and misting the cloth whem the heat starts to rise. Evaporative cooling works in our 95-105 degree afternoonsBut keep a eye out for fungus and mold diseases they love those conditions! ~gd

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good info, ~gd.

I'm going to be growing my tomatoes under wraps this year to try and combat the stink bugs. I did that a few years ago and had beautiful 'maters. I covered a basic hoop house with row cover and it worked perfectly for keeping the bugs out. I did have to watch carefully for any tears or any place the cover blew up because the stinkers would find their way through any little spot that they could.

I hate stink bugs...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So do I, they really stink. :hide

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yay, stink bugs......not. Last year I sprayed w/ soapy water practically every stinking day. And picked off horn worms twice a day. One morning I picked off 19!!!!! We're talking only 6 tomato plants. But it was a never ending thing.

This season I am armed with more helpers - 4 guineas and 3 ducks. :/ Last year I was also fighting squash bugs, cucumber beetles and roly poly's like craaaazy. I got some hay/goat poo from a neighboring place for mulch. That must have introduced the rolypoly's (what ARE those things actually called??). I had them only where I used the hay for mulch.

Come fall, I was ready to take a blow torch to everything in the garden to see if that would cut down on the bug situation this year. I guess it was just frustration - I didn't do it.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Yay, stink bugs......not. Last year I sprayed w/ soapy water practically every stinking day. And picked off horn worms twice a day. One morning I picked off 19!!!!! We're talking only 6 tomato plants. But it was a never ending thing. When picking horn worms look closely for tiny white egg sacks on any that are slow or not moving the egg sack is for a very tiny preditory wasp. When they hatch they start eating the worm from the inside, it is why the worm is slow or dead when they emerge as tiny adults they look for horn worm as the best host for the next generation. Yes I pick them and contain the worms to eather starve or be eaten to death. I very seldom find the horn worms and I hope the wasps are finding other hosts so they will be around to protect my tomatos. BTW there are places that sell infested horn worms thru the mail since the wasps need a host to live for shipping/ ~gd

This season I am armed with more helpers - 4 guineas and 3 ducks. :/ I have seen ducks spit out stink bugs no experience with guineas Last year I was also fighting squash bugs, cucumber beetles and roly poly's like craaaazy. I got some hay/goat poo from a neighboring place for mulch. That must have introduced the rolypoly's (what ARE those things actually called??).Woodlouse or pill bugs and they need moisture to survive and reproduce Spraying with soapy water HELPS THEM SURVIVE! BTW they usually eat dead decaying plant matter not live plants. I had them only where I used the hay for mulch.

Come fall, I was ready to take a blow torch to everything in the garden to see if that would cut down on the bug situation this year. I guess it was just frustration - I didn't do it.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The same thing can be accomplished with a bit of rooting powder, some damp tissue and a wrap...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, I've rooted cuttings that way. But, his point was the mother plant kept the shoot growing while rooting was taking place-so no set back or slowdown.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Yes, I've rooted cuttings that way. But, his point was the mother plant kept the shoot growing while rooting was taking place-so no set back or slowdown.
No, You inserted what you wanted me to say into what I actually said. You can root the branches right on the plant without cutting anything using rooting powder and a damp wrap. Just like this guy did, you don't take the "cuttings" from the plant until AFTER the roots are there. Force roots much like if you were grafting.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Huh? What I wanted you to say??? Inserted??? Ummm, well sorry about that. Walks away shaking my head.... Confused....

I just made a statement ....

Anyway....Air layering?