Tomatoes from seed?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Tomatoes are extremely easy to grow from seed. Give them warmth and close light (1-3" above top of plant or soil) and enough room to grow their roots. Even volunteer tomatoes do great!
I've found this to be true. Generally, tomato seeds are easy to grow from seeds into seedlings into plants (outdoors or in the greenhouse).

Complicating factor for us in our neihgborhood: the last two years, late blight hit people's tomatoes and potatoes in our neighborhood and valley in general. On our own homestead, we didn't get it in 2010, but got it in 2011. So this year I'm planting blight-resistant varieties.

So I bought some Early Girl (indeterminate) tomato seeds. !! To my amazement, these seeds were about 1/3 or 1/4 to size of the tomato seeds I'd planted in the past. Somewhat bigger than a poppy seed, though...
Well, I planted them. Each one. With some very pointed tweezers! We'll see how they do... :pop

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Well, I planted them. Each one. With some very pointed tweezers! We'll see how they do... :pop
:lol: That's exactly how I did mine too :lol: I can't properly plant the seeds otherwise!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i had no luck with starting my seeds indoors for maters,
they all sprouted then got tal and committed suicide by falling over...
I KNOW its because they didnt have a close enough light (and cant afford one right now)
but generally if you can get them close to a light source in those first couple of weeks, there easy to grow from seed.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Pinky next time you're in Selmer stop by and get some. How many do you want/need for your garden? I have several types to choose from. I can start you some Amish Paste, Watermelon Beefsteaks, or Rutgers. Rutgers are good for canning, beefsteaks for canning and eating, and AP's obviously for paste/sauce/canning etc. Just let me know how many of what you'd like :)

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh my gosh I checked the seeds this evening--they were started on Saturday--and some of my rainbow mix of bell peppers and BOTH tomato varieties are already teeny tiny sprouts. I'm using the Jiffy seedstarting greenhouse under gro lights. If my seedlings fail for any reason I plan to buy started plants as a backup, bell peppers too, but as of now they're doing the best. I'm shocked.

HWC

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Congrats HWC!!! Now just keep them watered when they start to get dry and close enough to the light and you should be good to go! :woot

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yay on the peppers--they can take a LONG time to germinate :)

winstonlacewing

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
here's a page with some good info on tomato cultivation: Tomato Cultivation Details

i would add to this: germination can take up to two weeks if temps are cooler and your seed is older; also to not over-water the seedlings once the seeds have sprouted. too-damp conditions will increase the possibility of 'damping off,' a fungal disease that looks like the base of the stem at the soil level has rotted.

tomatoes from seed is easy, and saving the seed is super fun. they say it's the 'gateway drug' of seed saving :)
winston

***edited to add link

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Weather-wise, I'm sure we're behind a lot of places... four inches of fresh snow this morning, and nighttime temps still going down below freezing. Knowing how long it can take peppers to develop, we started them first. Planting seeds in a bunch of six-cell mini trays, with home-mixed 'growing medium'. Then placed under flourescent grow tubes.

Jupiter bells (large, thick-walled) went in about eight days ago and first sprouts started to show about three days ago. Jalapenos went in about three days later... first sprout showing up this morning! :clap

Tomatoes went in two days ago. They won't show any sprouts for a few days yet. Eventually, the young (indeterminate) tomatoes will go into our greenhouse. Probably the jalapenos, too. Bells will get planted outside.

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I will keep a very close eye on my little baby tomatoes! I am so proud I want to celebrate in case they keel over in a few days! That Jiffy greenhouse keeps it nice and humid and once every seed has sprouted you take the lid off. Our seeds in the peat pots with no lids haven't yet sprouted but its only been three days-ish.

HWC