Tomatoes from seed?

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just want to say my tomatoes--Big Boy and Brandywine orange--are coming right along! They're keeping up with the cauliflower and lettuce sprouts and even with the tiny herbs. It's almost time to take off my Jiffy seed greenhouse lid and watch them really explode. The vining seeds--watermelon, cauliflower, cucumbers--are quite a bit slower but also aren't as close to the center of the lights. I hope they're just slow. The lettuce looks like tiny lettuce already, too funny!

HWC

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our seeds shipped from Territorial Seed today! :woot We got Stupice and Matina tomatoes amongst various other things. Any thoughts on those? They seemed to have decent reviews, but we haven't grown either before.Still searching for the tomato that is... the ONE! lol!

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started hundreds of tomatoes last year because I was so sure I'd accidentally kill them off (I'm pretty new to gardening too) but nope, they didn't quit. So then I planted them all out because I couldn't bear to kill a plant that wanted to grow. Man, we had a bumper crop last year!

Tips I live by- you've heard about the close light source and I want to underline that. Don't let your little ones get spindley.
Fan- I keep a fan on low 24/7 and rotate the seedlings so that they get varying light and currents. This makes them stout and hearty.
The air circulation will also help eliminate white mold and dampening off.

If you get the dreaded white mold on your pots or on your plants, make a diluted mix of peroxide and water and dab it w a q-tip. Won't kill the plant, but will kill the mold.

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We got our seeds from Territorial today!:weee Maybe we can get seeds planted this week!

Now I REALLY need to get more dirt in the garden beds <sigh> :caf

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Alright! Seeds are in dirt! Should I put a fan on them now or wait until something breaks through?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
odd_duck99 said:
Alright! Seeds are in dirt! Should I put a fan on them now or wait until something breaks through?
Wait until they are all through, otherwise you'll dry out the soil and not get a thing. Keep them warm and moist until you have sprouts :)

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
odd_duck99 said:
Wait until they are all through, otherwise you'll dry out the soil and not get a thing. Keep them warm and moist until you have sprouts :)
Awesome! That was what I was thinking!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice! I am trying to be a bit more serious in my gardening this year... we shall see

leolady

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
i had no luck with starting my seeds indoors for maters,
they all sprouted then got tal and committed suicide by falling over...
I KNOW its because they didnt have a close enough light (and cant afford one right now)
but generally if you can get them close to a light source in those first couple of weeks, there easy to grow from seed.
That's why I just gave up and began just buying seedlings. I have NEVER been able to stop them from committing suicide.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Another trick for growing tomatoes in the PNW is when you plant them out, surround them with tomato cages wrapped in bubble wrap (with the top open). This is the next best thing to growing them in a greenhouse.

Other than that, from all I have heard and from personal experience, cherry tomatoes will typically bear ripe fruit by the end of summer even in the worst summers we get. Other tomato types typically perform poorly (or less well, depending on the type) during cool summers.

winstonlacewing

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
odd duck...stupice is a great variety! very prolific, and performs well in cooler/cloudy conditions. i grew stupice near the coast of southern cal. where there was often a 'marine layer' of fog, and boy did it ever produce! good luck :)