Tomatoes not blooming

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My tomato plants are massive, beautiful, green...one problem...NO TOMATOES! Just wondering if anyone has any tips for pollenating those bad boys so we can eat some maters!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Too much nitrogen, too little lime....lime them good, water them well, mulch them to keep the moisture and see if that makes a difference.

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Are they not flowering or are you getting flowers but no tomatoes from the flowers?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I would say to much nitrogen, what type of fertlize did you use and how much?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I, too, would say too much nitrogen. A fertilization approach that gives the plants more phosphorous and potassium will encourage flowering.

Beekissed is right: plants in general, and the tomato/pepper family, in particular, need a good supply of calcium in the soil. On our land, we use gypsum for that, because we'v got pH neutral soils that don't need to be made more alkaline (which is something lime would do).

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom did that to her tomatoes one year. Way to much nitrogen fertilizer. They did finally set some in late summer, but all she got was green tomatoes before frost.

I didn't know that gypsum kept the soil neutral. I've been putting the eggshells on the garden and making the chickens eat oystershell. Our soil is at 6.5 and I didn't want to change it. I'll have to go out and get some of that. The whole front probably could use some. I know our soils west of the Cascades are supposed to be low in calcium.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It does sound like you got too much nitrogen on them, but another factor about tomatoes is that most do not set fruit when night temps are above 70-75. Since you are in Ft Worth, I'm guessing your temps are not too different than the 100's that my folks are having in Victoria, TX.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Over feed tomatoes and you get huge big vines. Over feed people and you get huge big butts........... :lol: I think your tomatoes need to go on a diet. :gig :lol: Maybe put 'em on a treadmill........ :lol:

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
It does sound like you got too much nitrogen on them, but another factor about tomatoes is that most do not set fruit when night temps are above 70-75. Since you are in Ft Worth, I'm guessing your temps are not too different than the 100's that my folks are having in Victoria, TX.
I can't remember--does high daytime temperatures affect the fruit set on tomatoes, cukes and beans, like night temps do? (assuming you can keep the plants alive....)

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
BirdBrain said:
I can't remember--does high daytime temperatures affect the fruit set on tomatoes, cukes and beans, like night temps do? (assuming you can keep the plants alive....)
I think it depends on the variety. I've always looked for heat resistant varieties and have never had fruiting problems.

Latest posts