tommywalnuts-My Self Sufficient Journal: Rural, Urban, and back again

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We got a dehydrator last night, and our first batch of beef jerky is now in process!! I've made jerky before, but its been about 10 years. Kids are really excited, and tomorrow or Tuesday we will try apple chips when the jerky is done.
We also started a bunch of seeds in one of those Wal-Mart seed starter greenhouse trays. We started 12 mustard, 18 cabbage, 12 broccoli, 12 lettuce, and 18 spinach. In 2 or 3 weeks, we will start some more for staggered planting.
We also payed off all our local bills(loans etc). That will free up 3-400 dollars a month in payments!!!The only downer part is we have decided to wait another year on our house in the country. $ guys were laid off at work Friday due to the economy, and I am just not ready for that house payment now. However, this will give us more time to ready our land(bright side i suppose).
I did treat myself(bought a shotgun and some cammies at really good prices), and ordered my wife's valentines gift(black diamond ear rings). Got the kids some games and clothes, and tomorrow will pay off the wifes Durango, so we will only have my truck payment, utilities, rent....so if the axe does fall at work, a lower paying job should suffice.
Hope everyone has had a great weekend. BTW, the lost children video was great. Have a blessed day tomorrow.

T

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Tommy, it all sounds like great progress! And I can almost smell that jerky from here! :drool

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Wow - Tommy you are really getting things done. I love my dehydrator and know you will enjoy yours a lot. Let me know how that jerky turns out. Like Bee I can smell it from here. LOL

:weee On paying off those bills. It sure gives you a feeling of freedom when they disappear.

Congrats on those chickens. You are going to have to be sure to post pics of those along with that brooder you keep talking about.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
:thumbsup Way to go - payin' off some bills.

That year that you may have to wait on a house purchase will go by quickly.

Better than buying the house now, and stressin' and strugglin' to make payments.

You are a wise man, tommywalnuts.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Tommy,

Just dropping in to say how much I admire you and your family. You really are working hard at the ss stuff. Keep up the good work with the bills and the new chickens.

I also live and was raised on the rez. It is a hard life but one I wouldn't trade for a million bucks. We haven't been able to get commodities for a few years but my family does and it helps out a lot in my house.

I would also like to add that I think your advise is great from what I've read.

I also had my first batch of chickens murdered by neighbor dogs. It is disheartening to say the least. It brings you down and you second guess yourself all the time after that. But it makes you a better caretaker that's for sure.

Like you we have learned a lot from this site. Gained virtual friends and are planning away for the different seasons.

Sharene

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks for the encouragement ya'll. I really enjoy the input, ideas and advice from everyone here(the family enjoys it also ).

The jerky is great, got about 3lbs made up so far. I will post pics of the chicks soon, promise.

shareneh, which rez you from? Do ya'll do the powwow circuit? We do the ones here in OK, the kids do traditional dance and my wife does all the beadwork and regalia. I mostly eat fry bread lol.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We do the pow wow circuit in ND, SD, MN and once every two years or so, Montana. My husband dances mens traditional and I do all his beadwork. We have had to ask one of my friends to do his shirts because I am too scared to make them. Don't know why.

We are from Spirit Lake Nation near Devils Lake ND. I work for the Bureau of Indian Affairs and he works for the tribal housing authority.

We are very lucky to have our jobs but some day I want to be able to let him quit his job to do whatever he wants. He is getting a bad back and knees from all the labor work.

His family grew up in a small home with 14 kids and a woodstove so I didn't have any trouble getting him onboard for the ss living. I grew up in the housing and learned all the ss stuff from books and tv. This site is what really helped me along.

Which tribe are you from? I know a woman from the Ponca tribe, we went to training together.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow tw

you are doing fab. paying off bills and freeing up $3-400 per month is wonderful big time!!!!

now don't go spending that 3-400---bank it if you can.

yea I am holding off on moving also. I can't afford to build cause no one will buy this one. hard times mean just stay put and bank as much as you can while you can!!

glad all is going well for you and YES, post some chick pics!!!

and I replaced all lights to CFL in the house except 1...stupid fan, the light won't fit in the shade. I saved immediately $28 per month. 2 months paid off all the lights! Go for it as soon as you can in replacing those bulbs, the savings is big!!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am so sorry about your hens.. I lost a bunch to coyotes my first year and last year I lost 10 to a heat wave. Try, try again they are very rewarding. :)

SS not only stands for Self Sufficiency, in my book it stands for "small steps". Every little thing we do makes our SS just that much easier.

We did light bulbs last year and I am working on my food storage and canning this year. The dehydrators are fab. My kids are big on the fruit.

Have fun. g

Latest posts