tommywalnuts-My Self Sufficient Journal: Rural, Urban, and back again

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Personally, I like the Japanese painted ferns, because they don't get as tall as ostrich ferns. Cinnamon ferns are cool also. I like the painted ferns mixed with some hostas, and some purple oxalias...these look like giant shamrock clover but are purple.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey all

Well its been a year since I have posted, and what a year. Been down right crappy, and honestly, I haven't given a flip about self sufficiency or the earth...or much of anything else. However, I am (somewhat)back on track, just trying to rebuild my life a piece at a time. I missed ya'll, and have kinda kept up on the tips posted on here. I am getting back in the swing of things, and have some neat tips, pics and such I will post soon. I hope all are doing well :D!!!!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it has been a bad time for you. I think everybody has those kind of years. Personally, they help to remind me God is in charge and I need to stop trying to take over.

It is good to hear from you, Tommy. I am looking forward to hearing your tips and seeing new pics.

Blessings to you and yours.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for stopping in and saying Hi!! It's good to see you. Sorry your year has been crap. That happens to everyone once in a while.

g

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey SS'ers :)

Well as I said almost a year ago, things were in the crapper. Our foster kids went back with thier mom after living with us for 5 years. Then my "wife" left...came home one day to an empty house and no note or anything. She said she was tired of being married. So I did some feeling sorry for myself, did a lot of drinking, and looked up some old friends. But, as in all things, God has a plan. Last July, this girl who was my best friend before I got married looked me up on Facebook...she was getting divorced too. We hadn't seen each other in 10 years. One thing led to another....and we are engaged!!!! One never knows...but the 2 of us are with who we should have been with 10 years ago. I'm so very happy with our life, its almost unbelievable.
AndiJo loves to garden...and this leads me back into the SS life. We have started our garden for this year. Lettuce,spinach, garlic, and onions. Zinnias on the border because she loves flowers. Next month will be squash, cukes, tomatoes, and maybe some other stuff. We put in a gnome garden in the front, and she will do a fairy garden in the very back. Got the composter back in action, and new chickens and a couple of ducks are in the plans too.
We spend our spare time ghost hunting, checking out historical sites in the area, and loving each other like no one I;ve ever heard of outside of romance novels. She takes my breath when I wake and she's the first thing I see in the morning. I thank God every day for His blessings in our life, and putting us back together.
I hope all y'all are doing well. I have lurked here from time to time, to see whats happening. I hope to be able to have many new SS things to share, and stories as well. Take care my friends :)

T

478_meandaj.jpg

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sweet happy ending :) Congratulations on the engagement! You two make a nice looking couple!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, I can hear the happiness in your voice. It sounds like the last year has been a long journey leading you to just the right place.

Good to see you again.

G