Tony is Out tracking his deer now! ugh

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
up first thing and he got a spike
last year he didn't get one...he let tons of nice big does walk by, nice spikes etc....cause he waited for the BIG one which never showed...LOL

so this year he wanted meat. so he shot a spike. probably about the size of Dacs doe give or take. But coming toward the blind he said he was spooky, and right when he shot, that sucker turned and jumped in the air a bit.....lower gut shot I think....ugh...he saw some white hair.

not a good shot but he is out following the trail. he said that he found 2 spots where he lied down.....UGH....I am sure he will find him soon.

I just hate shots that don't drop them right there but that is hunting.

So we got meat for the dinner table! Yippee.....like Dacs, I always say, poor deer, but thank you deer! :)

Will update when he brings him home and I can see him.

just rambling...I am happy he got something this year! :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
awwww!! Congrats!!

I wanna a deer!!

thinking I need to learn to hunt.....

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
When tracking a wounded deer: Move slowly, like you are stalking a deer. An injured deer has the power to run at anything that might spook it even though it is hit. They will find some energy to run a lot longer than you would think. It is a good and bad sign that he has found the beds. It is good because he is starting to slow down, and getting comfortable. The bad thing is that he was spooked from his bed and may now run all night (this is if he isn't dead yet ;) ) Some good advice on a wounded deer is to wait a half hour so the deer will get comfortable and slowly die. It will make finding and dragging the deer a heck of a lot easier.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
bad news

he couldn't find him. He and Scott tracked him for 3 1/2 hours....onto 3 other people's property....up and down thru the creek beds. They lost him when he went over the pasture fence into Sam Dellingers big pasture.....Tony said he saw a bit of blood just near the fence and Scott and him looked all up and down the fence and then into the pasture a bit....but no sign.

Tony is beside himself. He has never, ever, not found a shot deer.....his face is hanging. Heck when I chatted with him he had the processer all lined up to take the deer and everything....but after all tracking he could not find him...UGH

he is now in the mood to stop hunting.....but I told him these things happen. It just breaks my heart to know he was shot and is out there being wasted. But I am sure nature will enjoy him. Argh and sad is all I can say.

But we are busy all day tomorrow but I told him Wed to go out and get another. And not to take the shot unless it is perfect. That seemed to make him feel better, knowing I wasn't too upset. Him not finding him makes me upset, he gets upset also...and it is not pretty..HA HA

big sigh! :(

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
As much we all hate it, those things do happen. Here's a brotherly hug for him. :hugs

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Is he coming back out today to find it?

Will he fill his tag now? or will he not shoot another one this year?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks Dacs. First time it ever happened to him.

Tony is yakking about it this morning. He said he relived the shot all night long....thinking what he did wrong when that deer turned on the fire. It is driving him looney.

No he can't look today. We have 2 hams in the oven for a party at 10 am today at Nicole's school. That is why he looked so long yesterday.

we can get 6 deer for the season. first week it is either doe or buck. next couple weeks then it is only bucks. last week it is doe or buck again. Plus 2 bonus tags if he wants them. he has until Dec. 22 to get another.

he will go out in the stand tomorrow and try his luck. this time he said if the deer is spooky like this one was he will wait until he knows he can drop it.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FC I have to ask
He has hunted before right? Cuz I was always told that I should give the deer ten to fifteen minutes to die after being shot. If the deer runs when you track and find it after 15 minutes then you need to wait a half hour to an hour, then try again. OK, OK I know you cannot tell him anything, us womens dont know anything but I was just curious. THis must be the first time this has happened to him.
I can tell you my hubbys story.
He shot a deer at dusk. Waited the fifteen minutes, went and found the deer and it ran. By this time it was blizzarding. He waited another 20 mins and went back out to find the deer. He followed the tracks until it was so bad out he was afraid he would get lost. So he quit. He went out the next am and picked up where he left off. He found the deer 150 yards past where he had stopped. All that was left was the head and the bones. THe coyotes, foxes and ravens had a field day.

I am sorry about your hubbys deer.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea Rm that is kinda how he tracked. he waited a bit, then tracked to where it laid down, tracked further, then decided to come back to the barn to get his little tracker with the loader on it to pick it up.....so he went to the spot he last tracked too, then continued, found another spot he lied down with a big pool of blood, and then tracked it thru the creek beds----problem was it got into a monster pasture of the cattle farm 2 farms over...Tony could not find a blood trail in the pasture...that was the end of it at that point. nothing he could do.

Tony is a real hunter definitely. He bow hunted wild boar in TN and he hunted for Barbosa Big Sheep and got one with a bow also.....he knows what he is doing.

your husbands deer became food for the critters, I am sure that is what happened to Tonys. Nature doesn't waste anything.

he tried yesterday morning and this morning and nothing...not a deer in sight..LOL..longer into the season and they are super spooky now. who knows if he will get one.