Tony's on Layoff--Ugh!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey reinbeau
yea you are in my boat....cause this comes around this time of year since he started working there...like your hubbys business. But again, it makes things "just tight" enough and around the holiday season it ticks me off to "be tight" on money...LOL--well--even with the real pay it is tight..HA HA

I hope your hubby's job holds out long into the season! A full paycheck is still better than the other options. Hope time is on his side...but Tony's job, I thought this wouldn't happen yet, but it did. I think jobs like our hubby's will be earlier on their normal layoff times!

your pilates? do you have your own studio to teach or do you frequent a health club and offer services? you are your own boss right? or are you hired by a club or something? just wondering? I just joined a small gym down the road and it has only free weights and machines etc...no space for "classes" of sorts. Very reasonable and I am glad I already paid for the year..HA HA
Since losing weight and "forced" exercising to firm up....I am now SLOWLY starting to turn over into an exercise nut....who me? LOL

edited for typos...got tons of work to do and don't want to do it but on my mind..LOL--so off I go to do some work! :(

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
hey reinbeau
yea you are in my boat....cause this comes around this time of year since he started working there...like your hubbys business. But again, it makes things "just tight" enough and around the holiday season it ticks me off to "be tight" on money...LOL--well--even with the real pay it is tight..HA HA
Yea, I hate that it happens around the holidays, it makes Christmas shopping a real pain. I know I should start earlier, but when is the best time to spend money? I haven't found it yet! Thank goodness there are only a few little kids now, my boys know times are tough, they've learned they'll get something nice, and that's it!

I hope your hubby's job holds out long into the season! A full paycheck is still better than the other options. Hope time is on his side...but Tony's job, I thought this wouldn't happen yet, but it did. I think jobs like our hubby's will be earlier on their normal layoff times!
Thanks, I hope they go back early next spring!

your pilates? do you have your own studio to teach or do you frequent a health club and offer services? you are your own boss right? or are you hired by a club or something? just wondering? I just joined a small gym down the road and it has only free weights and machines etc...no space for "classes" of sorts. Very reasonable and I am glad I already paid for the year..HA HA
Since losing weight and "forced" exercising to firm up....I am now SLOWLY starting to turn over into an exercise nut....who me? LOL
Yes, it was my midlife crisis career change. I'm a certified Pilates instructor, I teach in two studios and three gyms around the area, so yes, I am my own boss, so to speak. I love it, but I need more clients! It'll come, it takes five years to build a good client base, I am told, and this is only my second year. If I can hang on through this economic mess I think things will look up from there!

Good for you, joining a gym. I have never liked them much, which is what lead me to Pilates. I do power walk every morning I don't have an early mat class to teach, I just got back from this morning's (well, I did hang out a load of clothes and chat with a neighbor already, so I got back awhile ago :) ). Diet is important, too, but we all know that here! Oh well, gotta shower and get ready for the two clients I have today.....

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have never had to face a lay off but the very idea makes me nervous.
It always bothered me about the financial experts recommending saving up 6 months of salary for such emergencies- I always had to use the money for something like a car repair or vet bill just at the stage I felt I was making progress so never had such a reserve. If anything had happened, I don't know what I would have done.

Everyone seems to be effected by the worry over the economy even if they personally have not seen any change in their own income.

Here one of the larger employers, a pulp mill owned by the chinese, has closed. The company swears they will re-open but there are many vendors to them complaining about not being paid. Blamed it on the ecomony too.

I do have a feeling that the general ecomony will be stabilizing now- so maybe people will start to feel more comfortable and able to spend doon.

Farmerchick- waht is your website address?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
website address?
started one but never finished it...no time and ran out of money to make it a real workable sellable site...will get it finished one day...LOL

seems I don't have enough time working animals and such to devote "real" time to get things done properly. stretched too thin..LOL

is that what you were asking??--LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
reinbeau
if you have clients now in hard times, then the good news is when it picks up a bit you should be doing well! sounds like you thoroughly enjoy what you do and that is definitely a big part of the battle in life!

and yea, I have savings but get hit just like ETR said, had a $700 truck fix repair, :th
and the other usual things come out of that money. I wish my savings was more --6 month only emergency, do not touch, but it doesn't work that way for me.

but I know I can get by and the only thing I hate about layoffs, is, will it be permanent? that always just is on my mind. cause if it was, yikes big time!, double yikes!!!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Farmerchick- I guess what I was aiming at was that I wanted to buy a couple of Christmas gifts for some friends and thought that maybe you did shipping of goat soaps. That would be a perfect gift for them.

But if you only sell at fairs, it's OK too.

Do you really milk your Boers? I have one that could give enough but most don't have very large udders.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea I kinda sell the soap in this area but it has been traveling to Wisconsin, Colorado, TX and FL etc....my customers ship it everywhere and I get alot of visitors at the Charlotte market that email me for more orders.

So basically I sell in health food stores in NC, farmer markets, festivals I attend in SC and NC, and just word of mouth and email orders.

Yea I milk the Boers. My Boers are huge ones and they do have smaller udders, but still big. I also have about 25 cross does...1/2 boer and 1/2 nubian and alpine and their udders are definitely bigger. I milk so much and leave the rest for the babies and keep milking after I sell the kids and drag it out as long as I can, eventually they dry up.

If I get caught short on milk which is rare, I have another goat farm (dairy) not far from here and I order up what I need. At least I figure I am keeping the money in the community.