Tony's on Layoff--Ugh!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks all you great gals!--will take all the great hugs you can give. I just hate the word even...layoff.....arrgghh.....but it happens I know!

Pat--he scares me when off from work...yea he will farm heavier but then he sees stuff he needs to buy for the farm....UGH--definitely a bad situation..LOL
But I never fear, I can squash any spending spree...I got good at it..HA HA

yea I work in my computer room....so I can surf alot while labels for soap and lotions etc. are printing. answer emails for soap and sausage etc. and place orders, check online statements, etc. One thing I can't give up is the internet. I actually base a living around it now...ugh...wish that didn't happen but it is still a great tool for me..LOL

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Man, layoffs stink! You seem like a gal that can roll up her shirt sleeves and get through anything, tho'. Maybe you could stick Tony in the soap making room. :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey punkin---I ain't letting him in my soap making room...ever...LOL-LOL---just to carry in the big boxes and such! :)
not a creative bone in his body! :)

oh yea ETR I am getting Xmas orders from my stores like crazy. I change my usual labels to Xmas labels and sell the hound out of the stuff for presents and stocking stuffers, etc. etc. This is my fast season for soap right now.

But I still count on his real paycheck. wish I didn't but at least unemployment will be there! I make great profits but not livable profits on soap yet? ;)

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
ugh, been there and done that. Not fun. Between worrying about finances and having him underfoot, stressful.
I think its hard for guys who are use to working all kinds of hours and then boom, they are home and don't know what to do with themselves.
My husband would wake up everyday and say so what are we doing today? um well I am doing laundry, mopping floors, cleaning the frig. etc I don't know what you are doing.
He was bored out of his mind and since he was hurt, there wasn't a whole lot he could actually do to help around here.
But every day, the same question what are we doing today. I said what am I your activities director here? This is what I do every day all day long. My life is not exciting.
I think he had a real different version of my life at home in his head, until he stayed home.

Good luck with it, I hope it doesn't last long and he is back at work in time for the holidays.
Make a list of all the things you want done around the farm while he is home, at least he can get alot accomplished and stay out of your hair.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks simple
and with that post, I send you my regards also for having that hubby underfoot! LOL
and poor him, yup, from active to stand still ain't good for a guy that is a hardworker!

life makes us put on the brakes sometimes. maybe it is a good thing or I will try to make it a good thing..LOL

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well shoot! That really s*cks.

Take heart in knowing you're not the only one on this forum stretching a buck in ways it was probably never meant to be stretched. :)

We're with ya all the way!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
poppycat said:
Take heart in knowing you're not the only one on this forum stretching a buck in ways it was probably never meant to be stretched. :)
Ain't that the truth!

Karen, you have a great attitude and I know you will make it through this challenge just fine :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Poppycat and Dace
one thing I learned on this forum is people can stretch a buck real far. I already learned ways to make it scream!!

rubber money???--LOL

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My hubby will be laid off soon, too, probably sooner than we would like. He's a truck driver for an asphalt company, once the plants shut down he's out of work. Usually they don't shut down until mid-December, but with things going the way they are, it'll probably be earlier. We pay up front for health insurance that lasts through the layoff, if he gets laid off early we'll have to make up whatever hasn't been taken out of his paycheck yet. He's saving like mad for that and for the house taxes - unemployment will make up the rest for the winter. Last spring he had a late start, I'll bet he'll have another one this coming spring :/

My work is shaky right now. Pilates is definitely discretionary, even the wealthy around here are crying poor. Not that I blame them, but it's kinda hard to hear someone cry poor mouth when they have three houses: one they live in in a very wealthy town, another down the Cape, and the third up in the mountains; they belong to a country club that costs $100K a year, and she drives a brand-new Escalade...I have a lot more pity for women like us who work their butts off to keep a roof over their heads and food on their table but still love Pilates and finangle a way to pay for lessons. Anyways, I've lost a few clients, I have two days off now a week instead of one, which isn't making me very happy, nor is it lining my wallet!

And I'll echo what others have said - he'll be underfoot for the winter! He does like to putter, though, I'll have a honeydew list for him to pick away at :)