Too Hot??

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have my garden plot tilled and now I am wondering is it just too hot for tender young plants? I want to plant southern peas, okra, corn, pumpkins and MAYBE try tomatoes again (didn't have much luck with those 1st go 'round). I am in zone 8b and my "what to plant now" from mother earth news names these things. It just seems awfully hot

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm no expert, just going by past experiences, but some plants actually love it hotter. The key is how much water they get while it's hot. Unless you're under a watering ban, I'd give it another try. Would help to ask local nurseries which strains can tollerate heat better then others.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Tomatoes like the heat. Peas, not so much.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Okra for sure. You will have okra coming out of your wazoo in no time. Ever have crunchy/dehydrated, seasoned okra? YUM! Fried okra and pickled okra are good too.

Also, peppers and cilantro love the heat. You could make a nice salsa garden like I used to do when I lived in Houston.

Just keep on top of the watering when you are in between hurricanes and tropical storms.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone

So I guess I will go ahead and finish prepping the lot - including getting some soaker hoses and straw bales. I really would like to "graduate" to gardening for food provision, but right now I think my family would starve :rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. I hate the heat and rarely "gardened" in Houston in the summer. My summer salsa and herb gardens had to tough it out, surviving only on watering; no weeding or anything else that required more than about 3 minutes a day right before dark.

Look at it this way, you will have a nice bed etc ready for the fall season... I gardened more in the spring, winter and fall than I did all summer back in TX.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Just keep on top of the watering when you are in between hurricanes and tropical storms.
ROFL somehow I missed this originally!! I have been thinking along those lines as well, because I sure would hate to spend $, time and effort just to watch my corn / etc blowing down the street.

I actually don't mind working in the heat - I am not one to go out in it for "fun" though. I love the feeling of accomplishment - spending the whole hot morning getting dirty in the garden / barn, then rinsing off jsut enough to enjoy a light lunch of tomato sandwich and maybe some melon.....

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Go for it! We are constantly replanting here in coastal SC, with the alternating hot and muggy to pouring buckets of rain. It's a challenge. And the bugs... :rolleyes:

Yellow squash does well, tomatoes, hot peppers, cucumbers, potatoes- all of are coming in well right now. Southern peas will be fine - we're getting a lot of purple hull peas!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ranchhand said:
Go for it! We are constantly replanting here in coastal SC, with the alternating hot and muggy to pouring buckets of rain. It's a challenge. And the bugs... :rolleyes:

Yellow squash does well, tomatoes, hot peppers, cucumbers, potatoes- all of are coming in well right now. Southern peas will be fine - we're getting a lot of purple hull peas!
I LOVED my purple hulls! they were going like crazy... and then they started drying on the plant faster than I could pick them.

I decided at the minimum I would plant okra now and then maybe wait until first of August for the rest... and can I find okra anywhere in this town??? that would be an all caps NO. :rolleyes: