Too much cabbage. Help?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Sauerkraut; cabbage rolls; cole slaw without any fruit (never heard of cole slaw with fruit, myself); red cabbage with apples (oops ... fruit! Still, the apples kind of disappear in this); beef and cabbage soup; colcannon - Irish mashed potatoes mixed with greens, cabbage or others; sauteed with sausage on the side
I used to make coleslaw with crushed pineapple and chunks of green apple. Really yummy and refreshing. Low fat. Unfortunately, DH doesn't like that sort of mix. But ya'll might.

We had colcannon the other night. It was good. Cabbage rolls - haven't made those. Got a good recipe you wanna share?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Sauerkraut? Boiled dinner? (Corned beef, boiled with cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and rutabaga or turnips. Yum.)
Corned beef and cabbage is yummy on occasion. Thanks for reminding me of it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It is never the wrong season for coleslaw IMO, all sorts of coleslaws.

Cabbage rolls! (Which in fact I am eating one right now at the computer for breakfast, leftover from a coupla days' ago dinner) (They make a really good breakfast btw :))

Fried cabbage, alone or with stuff. I do not know how much you've fried cabbage in the past so I will comment that it changes it into something MUCH different than boiled cabbage (which personally I hate), you just have to hang in there and keep frying til there are lots of toasty brown areas on the pieces and the sugars have started to caramelize and it starts to smell really yummy. I usually cut it into 1"-ish squares for this, rather than leetle pieces.

You can eat fried cabbage alone (recommend frying it in bacon fat or pork fat or chicken fat, although I *suppose* you could use olive oil) or fry up some sausage with it, or make a chinese-restaurant-style twice-cooked pork type thing by adding some leftover pork bits and some fried-up tofu pieces and saucing appropriately (I am lazy and do ginger, garlic, good soy sauce, and a zot of hoisin sauce, but other options are possible and probably better).

Also cabbage is good, in moderate amounts and alongside other things, in a lot of Indian and southeast-asian curry type dishes. I would recommend frying it first, preferably when you fry the spices. Actually if you decide you like fried cabbage you can add your favorite curry type spices before/as you're frying it, and that is good too.

Or in curry-type soup.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
What Pat said. I alwayas have cabbage in my house. coleslaw (my way is just grated cabbage, carrots, onion, with mayo and celery seeds. that is basic--you can dress it up a bit if you want.

Fried cabbage in bacon fat, with little pieces of bacon crumbled in it. that in itself is a meal, but you can have it as a side for other main courses. Boiled cabbage is yucky, imo also. I'm not a big fan of it in soups. Cabbage rolls are good, and if you are too lazy(like me) you can do a cabbage roll casserole, where it is the same ingredients as rolls, but you shred the cabbage and then layer the other stuff on it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Slice the cabbage so it comes out in thin ribbons. Fry the "cabbage noodles" in butter. Top it with chicken and mushrooms in alfredo sauce :drool

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So for lunch today, I had some bacon leftover from making the oxtail bourguignonne for dinner. I sliced some cabbage and fried it with a piece of bacon for a bit, then added an egg and some of the leftover buckwheat flour/almond meal mix I used for the oxtails. Cooked it a bit more then added some oyster sauce and ate. Oh my that was good!

ETA: Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It is never the wrong season for coleslaw IMO, all sorts of coleslaws.

Cabbage rolls! (Which in fact I am eating one right now at the computer for breakfast, leftover from a coupla days' ago dinner) (They make a really good breakfast btw :))

Fried cabbage, alone or with stuff. I do not know how much you've fried cabbage in the past so I will comment that it changes it into something MUCH different than boiled cabbage (which personally I hate), you just have to hang in there and keep frying til there are lots of toasty brown areas on the pieces and the sugars have started to caramelize and it starts to smell really yummy. I usually cut it into 1"-ish squares for this, rather than leetle pieces.

You can eat fried cabbage alone (recommend frying it in bacon fat or pork fat or chicken fat, although I *suppose* you could use olive oil) or fry up some sausage with it, or make a chinese-restaurant-style twice-cooked pork type thing by adding some leftover pork bits and some fried-up tofu pieces and saucing appropriately (I am lazy and do ginger, garlic, good soy sauce, and a zot of hoisin sauce, but other options are possible and probably better).

Also cabbage is good, in moderate amounts and alongside other things, in a lot of Indian and southeast-asian curry type dishes. I would recommend frying it first, preferably when you fry the spices. Actually if you decide you like fried cabbage you can add your favorite curry type spices before/as you're frying it, and that is good too.

Or in curry-type soup.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
DANG!!! We were just talking about canning cabbage rolls on my canning email list and now I'm STARVING for cabbage rolls but certain people (cough, cough dunkopf, cough, cough) can't stand the smell of cabbage cooking. I'm going to make some anyway and just ignore him when he starts whining about the smell. May make some Dolmas for him.
So you should be 'shamed of yourself for teasing me with cabbage rolls Pat! Gonna make some and can some and EAT some ....that's what I'm gonna do.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You could dehydrate it. I add it to soups that way. Our favorite way is to grill it. We cut it into small chunks, add a little onion, butter and sprinkle some water on it. Wrap in in a nice foil pouch. Throw it on the grill, turning often. Depending on the amount it takes about 30 min. It sweetens it and everyone asks for it whenever we grill! Yum..now I`ll have to run to the store for a cabbage.:drool

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't made cabbage rolls in ages (because Himself said that the last ones were "too dense" :/), but have lately been asked to make them again (by the same Himself ;)). This is from a book I trust, so you and I can try it out together, if you like. -- Fresh cabbage and Sauerkraut.

Hungarian cabbage rolls (for 6-8 servings)

1# ground pork
Salt, pepper, paprika
1 egg
100 grams cooked rice (a little less than 1/4# - sorry, I haven't done the measuring for American kitchens yet)
1 cabbage
2# Sauerkraut
1 cup beef broth

Mix the ground pork with salt, pepper, and paprika. Add in the egg and rice. Blanch the cabbage head till you can remove the outer leaves. You'll need 8 large leaves (use some of the inner leaves in the filling, if you like). Cut the rib so that rolling is easier. Put some of the filling on each leaf, and roll up (think burrito :p). Tie with kitchen twine if necessary.
Melt some lard (or other fat) (75g, if you have a scale - about 2 oz)) in a heavy bottomed pot, and add the Sauerkraut. Mix well. Lay the cabbage rolls over the Sauerkraut, and add the broth. Cover tightly, and let simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

The recipe goes on to suggest that one fry some pork cutlets and some sausages to serve with the rolls. Also, to mix 1 Tbls. of flour with 200 g (about 3/4 cup) Creme Fraiche or sour cream, and pour that over the cabbage rolls, bring it back to a boil before serving. Serve the cabbage rolls (cutlets, sausages) on top of the Sauerkraut.

I think I may do some version of this sometime soon - maybe without the extra pork and sausages.

Let me know if you try it :D

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I haven't made cabbage rolls in ages (because Himself said that the last ones were "too dense" :/), but have lately been asked to make them again (by the same Himself ;)). This is from a book I trust, so you and I can try it out together, if you like. -- Fresh cabbage and Sauerkraut.

Hungarian cabbage rolls (for 6-8 servings)

1# ground pork
Salt, pepper, paprika
1 egg
100 grams cooked rice (a little less than 1/4# - sorry, I haven't done the measuring for American kitchens yet)
1 cabbage
2# Sauerkraut
1 cup beef broth

Mix the ground pork with salt, pepper, and paprika. Add in the egg and rice. Blanch the cabbage head till you can remove the outer leaves. You'll need 8 large leaves (use some of the inner leaves in the filling, if you like). Cut the rib so that rolling is easier. Put some of the filling on each leaf, and roll up (think burrito :p). Tie with kitchen twine if necessary.
Melt some lard (or other fat) (75g, if you have a scale - about 2 oz)) in a heavy bottomed pot, and add the Sauerkraut. Mix well. Lay the cabbage rolls over the Sauerkraut, and add the broth. Cover tightly, and let simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

The recipe goes on to suggest that one fry some pork cutlets and some sausages to serve with the rolls. Also, to mix 1 Tbls. of flour with 200 g (about 3/4 cup) Creme Fraiche or sour cream, and pour that over the cabbage rolls, bring it back to a boil before serving. Serve the cabbage rolls (cutlets, sausages) on top of the Sauerkraut.

I think I may do some version of this sometime soon - maybe without the extra pork and sausages.

Let me know if you try it :D
Thanks for the recipe.

Personally, I always weigh ingredients whenever possible. It's so much easier! Rice, especially white rice, tends to push DH's blood sugar so he couldn't eat much of this. But it's nice to have as a recipe available. Maybe with the extra pork and sausages!

Latest posts