Too much cottage cheese! Any ideas of what I could do?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have waaaay more cottage cheese in my frig than what I can eat. In the spirit of waste not/want not, what would you do with it?

DH has already had his obligatory one serving. He's not into Jello/cottage cheese combinations. I put some in bread (put it thru the magic bullet to blend it before using), but other than making up a couple big pans of lasagna to freeze, I'm drawing a blank. (I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta.) I already have sour cream in the frig, too.

I put a blop into each dog dish this morning, but I'd rather not give it to the critters if I can figure out something else to do with it. Any ideas?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Add fruit and have it for breakfast. Put it on pizza(I have, it's pretty good!), lasagna......that's all I can think of right now.

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Too early for fresh tomatoes but those along with cottage cheese and pepper MMmmmm.
Also good blended into sauces, smoothies,salad dressing.
It will freeze. Thaws a little mushier and may separate some but still good for use in recipes.
I know you said you didn't aw t it to go to the critters but the chickens would love a treat too.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't use cottage cheese very much...... but I wonder if you could press it? Will the whey separate from cottage cheese? Maybe season it first?

:hu

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can freeze it???? I did not know this.

Yes, if it was tomato season, I'd be chowing down. Cottage cheese in some chopped veggies is pretty good. And pizza? That makes sense, it's great in lasagna, etc.

I have been eating it w/ fruit, reaching a saturation point. :D I don't think I could press it enough to make a farmer's cheese as most of the whey is already out, isn't it? I dunno, I might have to try it just to see what happens. I like doing stuff like that.

Thankee, thankee.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A few recipes from my collection, we also eat cottage cheese with salad or with veggie sticks (carrots and celery) :)

Cheesy Meat Loaf with Apples

2 lb ground chicken
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup breadcrumbs or ground oatmeal
1 1/2 cups apples, peeled and diced
6 oz cottage cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup ketchup or barbecue sauce
1/2 onion, finely sliced

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a large bowl, mix chicken, garlic, breadcrumbs, apples and cottage cheese. Season generously with salt and pepper.

Mould the meat mixture and gently press into a loaf pan and cook in the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix applesauce with ketchup or barbecue sauce and onion.

Brush top of meat loaf with applesauce mixture and bake 20 minutes more.
Food Processor Cheesecake

Basic Crumb Crust
1 1/2 cups Graham crumbs
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar

Mix together and press into bottom and partway up the sides of 9" springform pan.

Filling
2 tablespoons butter, melted
12 oz cream cheese
1 cup/1/2 lb cottage cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350F.

Put all the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process till very smooth.

Pour the mixture into the prepared crust and bake for 30 minutes.

Cool the cake in the oven with the door propped open until room temperature. Chill.
Homemade Nachos and Cottage Cheese Dip

Oven-baked nachos:
1 egg white
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 pinch garlic powder
6 small whole wheat tortillas

Dip:
2 cups Cottage Cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chives, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

Preheat oven to 425F (220C).

In a bowl, mix egg white with spices.

Brush tortillas with egg mixture, cut them into slices and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake in the oven for 57 minutes or until tortilla slices are as crispy and golden as chips.

Meanwhile, place Cottage Cheese in a bowl, sprinkle with olive oil and fresh herbs, and season with salt and pepper.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Moolie, what can I say? :thumbsup Thank you for taking the time to post those recipes.

I just happen to have 6 apples, another 20# coming this Friday and about a pint of applesauce. I see meatloaf on the table tonight....

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yay meatloaf!

It's a tasty one, I hope you like it :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like cottage cheese mixed with freshly chopped herbs, and maybe a grind or two of black pepper, as a snack. Never been too fond of it with fruit.