Top 10 Toxic Products

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Are we related?
it could happen... i've got a MASSIVE family.

either way, it's good to know i'm not alone. people always think i'm nuts because i don't love things that smell "good."

ToLiveToLaugh said:
In a sense, all my self sufficiency goes back to how badly I react to all these chemicals.
yeah, this went a long way to at least making me educate myself. i'm allergic to one of the ingredients of Tide detergent, so i wanted to figure out what it was. so i learned a lot about the gross things that are in detergents. same with "added scents." so, long before i was chemical free, i wasn't buying anything with dyes or scents. the number of migraines i get has dropped significantly.

ohiofarmgirl: i've found the most effective way of dealing with those people is to take their spritzer away and spray them. i've had to do it a couple of times. some people just won't listen. my best friend worked in the mall for a while and i would take her lunch because she didn't want to eat mall fast food and didn't have time to go elsewhere (or a frig at work). this one woman- not even in a department store, at a kiosk- constantly sprayed me when i passed her. i told her at least 8 times to please stop. so finally i sprayed her in the face. she didn't bother me after that.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Somehow I can just visualize that! Like a superbowl commercial for Doritos. You taking her down and taking the perfume away and spraying her in the face with it! LOL

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We do not use perfume stuff in our home we have be come very sensitive to it.

I work outdoors in the woods, I can smell when someone with perfume is coming from a long long way off when the wind is right.

Also we can smell if someone with perfume touched our children at school.

I personally do not find the scents of manufactured perfumes attractive.. For me they act more as a repellent, making my eyes water, and my nose itch, and blocking out all the wonderful subtle smells of nature.
ON

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Organics North said:
I personally do not find the scents of manufactured perfumes attractive.. For me they act more as a repellent, making my eyes water, and my nose itch, and blocking out all the wonderful subtle smells of nature.
ON
beautifully said!

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've noticed over the years that more and more people are "sensitive" to perfume/colgne/etc... I stopped wearing any awhile back - NOT because I don't like it or can't tolerate it myself, but because I don't want my friends or family to be uncomfortable when I'm around because they can't breathe or their eyes burn. As a result, I can actually smell the soft fresh scent of Gardenia or Jasmine in the air in the evening on a warm muggy day - to me, that beats the heck out of anything I could ever find in a bottle, and it's free!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yup, me too.

I didn't know I was sensitive until I stopped using all commercial cleaning products AND my favorite perfume was lost when my luggage "disappeared"...ok, that, I have to admit, I am still bummed about.

These days to cover up dog smell before guests come over I light a good quality incense (my S. African friend brings from S. Africa).

No more rubber ducky. :p

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm bummed about the rubber ducky thing... my SIL has her kid(s) bathroom decorated with them - SEVERAL of them. I'm not sure how I will break it to her that rubber ducky's are evil beings disguised as cute little bath toys. :idunno

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
NO!! don't give up on rubber duckies (i love them)! there are many you can get that are made out of green materials: recycled plastics and natural resins. you just have to look. i found one for my niece that is made from natural resin and colored with plant extract- it's not the bright "rubber duckie" yellow, but it's way cute and SAFE!

this isn't the one i bought, but it's a good one

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
big brown horse said:
NO!! don't give up on rubber duckies (i love them)! there are many you can get that are made out of green materials: recycled plastics and natural resins. you just have to look. i found one for my niece that is made from natural resin and colored with plant extract- it's not the bright "rubber duckie" yellow, but it's way cute and SAFE!
Whew!! Thanks!

I am just beside myself thinking of all those cute tub toys I let my daughter play with as a babe. :rolleyes: